4.23.2008

Rosemary Lemon-Ginger Vodka Spritzers

A beachside refresher



Our vacation got off to a tremulous start - what with the 5.2 earthquake and all - but we managed to get everyone safely in the car and on the road to Rosemary Beach, our almost impossibly lovely destination on the Florida Panhandle.

This place is one of those scarily-proportioned planned "towns" that seem to spring up out of the swamp land as if by magic. What I mean by scary is just the absolute perfectness about it all; it's so self-contained and pristinely designed that it just doesn't seem real.

And, in keeping with the Mediterranean theme of the architecture, there are rosemary bushes springing up everywhere. I don't think that rosemary would grow here as a native plant, but it does seem to thrive in this climate, because the plants seem to grow into large hedgerows.

Rosemary might just be my favorite herb and every spring I put out numerous small plants in my garden. I always hope that one or two of them will make it through the winter, but so far that hasn't happened.

Seeing them casually growing here to the size of happy Great Danes kind of overwhelms me. I'm starting to feel like cooking something. Or maybe I'm just thirsty.

We came up with this refreshing cocktail recipe while lounging on the beach yesterday. It's pretty good. Might be just about time for another!




Rosemary Lemon-Ginger Vodka Spritzers

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
¼ cup peeled, chopped fresh ginger
2 large springs rosemary, plus more to garnish
Pinch of fine sea salt (seems weird, but it really makes the syrup pop with flavor)
Fresh lemons, halved
Ice cold vodka
Chilled sparkling water

Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the ginger, rosemary and salt; remove from the heat and let steep for about 10 minutes. Strain the syrup and chill.

To make a drink, squeeze fresh lemon juice to taste into a glass filled with ice. Pour in 2 ounces vodka and about 1 tablespoon syrup. Top off with the sparkling water. Take a sip, and add more syrup if you like. Add a rosemary spring for garnish. Cheers!




Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Subscribe to FamilyStyle Food


Copyright (c) 2008 FamilyStyle Food

19 comments:

Emily said...

Cheers! Looks great.
Enjoy your time at the beach.

jennyonthespot said...

Oh my... that looks absolutely delightful... oh yes...

Marie said...

Oh that's a perfect twist on lemonade. Delicious!

RecipeGirl said...

Heck- I don't need the beach. I've got bunches of the stuff in my backyard. Looks really yummy.

I had something similar in a martini recently.

amy said...

I read somewhere that you can make ginger last longer by peeling & stashing it in a jar of vodka. when you cook the ginger the vodka flavor goes away, but the vodka itself becomes gingery...this seems like a good way to use the ginger vodka!

Anonymous said...

Sounds divine. I haven't had a proper cocktail in months (they just don't make 'em right here in loverly Paris). Super refreshing... and relaxing.

Madame K said...

Thanks, Emiline. It's been soooo great.

Jenny, yes, this drink does have that effect.

Foodaholic, I think that idea is what got us started on this recipe. Nothing like some spiked lemonade to quench the thirst!

Recipegirl - lucky you! I'm a teeny bit jealous of that. The air must smell great in your background.

Amy, yes! that's such a great idea. I'll have to steep some ginger when we get home.

Ms. Glaze. Non! I can't believe that. What did Hemingway drink in Paris? Or then again maybe it's because of all the great wine there.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Not only does it look beautiful,it sounds divine! I love the ginger in it. Have a great vacation! Cin Cin!!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

That sounds very refreshing- just right for a beach drink.

Anonymous said...

i'll have two - it's been a long week. you'll come right over right?

amycaseycooks said...

I have been seeing lots of drink recipes with rosemary lately. It is time to give one a try. This looks like the one.

Unknown said...

One word: yes!

Anonymous said...

What a life... and with one of these in hand, it would be even better!

EMC said...

I can't wait to try this with my promising rosemary crop this year--how inventive.

Sarah said...

These look amazing! I cannot imagine living in a place where rosemary grows so freely...sounds like heaven!

Anonymous said...

I love herbs in cocktails! I've done a drink similar to this but I love the idea of also using ginger and sparkling water. Sounds so good!

Deborah Dowd said...

This looks so yummy and refreshing- the beach is a place of inspiration...Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

It is so strange that you came up with this! We have been doing our own experiments.

Simon does an AMAZING rosemary and pineapple martini. We make our own rosemary infused vodka when we have a plethora left over. We also are tinkering with fennel and tarragon....

MPG said...

Wow! That's refreshing...something else to try with all the lovely rosemary I got from my friend along with this link!!