5.25.2008

Homemade Granola


My favorite granola with yogurt

I’d never tasted homemade granola until I was in my early twenties, when my friend Dorie gifted me with some that her mother had made. I remember opening the bag doubtfully, expecting some hard-to-chew cereal product I might be temped to feed to a horse.

Just for frame of reference, this was back in 1980-something, when granola was regarded as an outdated by-product of the seventies, right up there with crocheted plant cozies made from hemp fiber and men sporting four-inch wide sideburns.

But just like Oprah, I had an “Aha!” moment right then and there. Too bad my moment didn’t foreshadow the possibility of making my fortune selling fifteen-dollar bags of granola in fancy food stores, as I’m sure Oprah’s would have.


No, it wasn’t my instinct for making money that was awakened, but my sense of what “homemade” meant. This granola was so unlike the achingly sweet stuff I was used to eating out of a box it was like a different category of food altogether. It smelled of butter and vanilla; each grain and seed tasted fresh and toasted. There were sesame seeds in there, I remember, and nice crunchy clumps of oats. I ate it all and then wanted more.

I begged Dorie to ask her mom for the recipe, but she never delivered it. Apparently that granola was a closely guarded family recipe. What is it with people and their secret recipes? I've never understood the urge to protect a recipe. Why not share the love?

I went on a search mission to replicate the granola recipe. I came close with one batch from Marion Cunningham’s The Breakfast Book, but it wasn’t quite the same. I finally settled on the formula below, which is based on one that I think came from an issue of Gourmet magazine circa 1990 or so (since all I have is the an index card, I can’t be sure).

This recipe makes a good-sized batch of granola; you can keep it in a covered container for two weeks or so, or be generous and give some to friends - and don’t forget to pass along the recipe.

And if Dorie is out there, I'd still love to know your mom's secret!


Granola

4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup unsweetened dried coconut
1 cup whole almonds
1 cup of your choice hulled raw pumpkin seeds or raw cashews
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup raw wheat germ
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 cup melted butter or vegetable oil



Heat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large bowl, layer all ingredients through wheat germ in order given. Pour maple syrup over mixture and stir upward from the bottom, taking care to coat the almonds. Add the vanilla, salt and butter and stir once more to combine well.

Spread the granola in an even layer on a large rimmed sheet pan, or 2 smaller rimmed pans.
Bake 15 minutes; stir granola and bake 10 minutes more or until mixture is golden and almonds are toasted.

Other FamilyStyle Favorites to try:

Homemade Vanilla Extract
Best Buttermilk Pancakes
Whole Grain Pancakes with Roasted Pears

Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Subscribe to FamilyStyle Food


Copyright (c) 2008 FamilyStyle Food

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the '70s. Just the thought of a woman in a peasant blouse and I'm smelling patchouli on the back roads of my memory.

Can't eat yogurt -- binds me like a choke collar on an abused Doberman. Granola looks tasty, though.

TLR

Anonymous said...

Granola is one of my all time favorite treats! I eat it on icecream as well and put in my cookie dough before baking! Yours sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

The OCHERs & Yayas so loved this, I'm forwarding the recipe to them all! Is it weird to admit that I'd not made homemade granola until tasting yours last week? I'm already working on my own variations though it's hard to imagine the perfection of yours. This is a winner!

Tarah at Genesis of a Cook said...

Homemade Granola is always the best :]

test it comm said...

That granola looks good! I have been wanting to try making granola for a while.

Anonymous said...

I love home made granola. I'll have to try this. And what about that recipe you had for "energy bars?" Where can I find that (sorry to change the subject!)

L

Anonymous said...

Home made granola really can be good. I was young in the 70's and turned my nose up at it then, but now have learned to appreciate it, too. And its so versatile!

Madame K said...

TLR, you are a child of the time, most definitely. Rock on.

Baking Blonde - cookie dough with granola! Love it!

Alanna, I'm glad you girls enjoyed. It was a pleasure to make it for you all.

Tarah, yes, absolutely.

Kevin, give it a go!

Liza, I'll send you the power bar recipe...from 101 Cookbooks.

JJ, I guess we all grow up and realize what we've been missing. Enjoy.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Karen, This sounds terrific! I need to make this healthy treat!1

Emily said...

Well, I was thinking about making muffins, but now my mind is on granola. It really does sound good right now!

brandin + kari said...

Welcome back! This looks great. Thanks for the recipe.

Prudy said...

Karen:
I love homemade granola because I just love oats. I must have been a horse in my previous life. My favorite add-in is cashews. Oh, yum. Hope all is well with you and yours!
Erin Mylroie

Madame K said...

Thanks, Marie. You should give the granola a try, for sure.

Emiline, how about a granola muffin, then?

Thanks, Anticiplate. Nice to hear from you!

Hey Prudy Erin! Cashews are so godd in just about anything. Enjoy...

amycaseycooks said...

I make granola bars for one of my clients. I may leave this as another treat for them.