4.17.2008

Crunchy Shrimp with Ginger Orange Sauce

photo from myrecipes.com


I know, I have been MIA for a while.

Briefly, I give the following as explanation:

1. My camera got lost.
2. I’ve been up to my eyeballs with work stuff, everyday stuff, and other stuff. Sometimes I feel that being a “good” blogger can be soooo very challenging.
3. My camera got lost.
4. We’re piling everyone into the car for a road trip to Florida tomorrow.
5. Woo-hoo!

I know it’s lame, and I apologize, but without a juicy photo to share (have you seen my camera, by the way?) I’m posting one of my contest winners from a few years ago and borrowing a picture from myrecipes.com. I won the $10,000 grand prize in Cooking Light’s Ultimate Reader Recipe Contest for creating this recipe and it continues to be a favorite with friends and family.
Enjoy, and I’ll check in again soon.

Crunchy Shrimp with Toasted Couscous
and Ginger Orange Sauce

For Ginger Orange Sauce:
1 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons chicken broth
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
For Couscous:
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup sliced scallions
2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
For Shrimp:
20 jumbo shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled and deveined
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 - 2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups trimmed watercress

1. To prepare sauce, place orange juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, 10-12 minutes. Transfer to a medium heatproof bowl to cool. Add remaining sauce ingredients to the cooled orange juice and whisk until smooth.

2. Place couscous in a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring constantly. Add the broth, orange juice and salt to pan and bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes; fluff with a fork. Stir in butter, scallions and almonds. Cover to keep warm.

3. Place shrimp in a large bowl; add egg whites and toss to coat. Combine panko, ginger, cilantro, salt and pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add shrimp; seal bag and shake to coat evenly with panko mixture. Heat the oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add coated shrimp in one layer. Cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; turn shrimp and cook until second side is golden brown.

4. To serve, spoon couscous onto a large platter. Arrange watercress over and around couscous; top with shrimp. Drizzle sauce over shrimp.
Serves 4. (serving size: 1 cup couscous, 5 shrimp and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)



Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Subscribe to FamilyStyle Food


Copyright (c) 2008 FamilyStyle Food

14 comments:

Finla said...

Love the crunchy shrips

Katie B. said...

Looks delicious! No wonder you won! :)

Proud Italian Cook said...

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your camera. Good excuse to buy a nice new one though!

Deborah said...

This does sound delicious! Hope you find your camera soon!

Patsyk said...

Bummer about your camera!

Just found your blog, and this recipe sounds like something my family would enjoy. I love cooking with Panko bread crumbs... everything turns out so nice and crunchy!

Jerry said...

Looks yummy!

RecipeGirl said...

You created this one??? This remains one of my favorite all time CL recipes. Our whole family loves it. Brilliant job :)

test it comm said...

The shrimp looks great and the orange ginger sauce sounds tasty!

Jenny said...

Karen,
I would be crazy without my camera, I hope you find it soon. If not, maybe it's a great excuse to buy a cool new one!

This recipe looks fantastic. Thanks for reminding me about the cooking light contest, I think the deadline is coming up quickly!

Have fun in FL!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Orange-ginger sauce is a staple in our house. Jeff loves it with shrimp, I love it with tofu.

Lori said...

Wow that looks great. New camera, new camera, new camera. looking forward to your next post.

Deborah Dowd said...

OMG Karen, congrats! You are a cooking contest leviathan! I am not worthy! Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!
This looks soooooo good. I'm bookmarking it to try very soon!

Anonymous said...

No way you created this - it was originally in Cooking Light 4 years ago.