3.29.2008

Buttercream and Party Cakes


You can lick the spoon


Among the world of bloggers are an amazing group, consisting of over 600 to date, who once a month conspire about one recipe challenge, chosen by a different member each time. The monthly challenge remains a secret until the last day of the month, when everyone blogs about their results; a kind of gang-blog. These are not your run-of-the-mill bakers, friends. They are the Daring Bakers, and for some reason I thought it would be fun to join up. What was I thinking? I should have been thinking that I was out of my league.



I am not a fancy-pancy cake decorator. I think I’d rather pick nits off a monkey’s back than to obsess over making intricate flowers made out of sugar or enrobing a cake in fondant. It’s just not my thing. After looking at some of my blogging friend’s jaw-droppingly gorgeous creations, I became comfortable with the realization that I am a peasant cook at heart. When I bake, I always gravitate toward the simple and rustic, like free-form tarts and cakes baked in loaf pans.



This month, the recipe was chosen by Morven of Food Art and Random Thoughts; Perfect Party Cake from Dorie Greenspan’s fantastic book, Baking, From My Home to Yours. I enjoy Dorie’s recipes because they aren’t too fussy and she obviously writes them after lots of testing. In fact one of my all-time favorites is Dorie's Lemon Yogurt Cake (baked in a loaf pan!).

The party cake is a fairly simple recipe, and I can see why it should become a stand-by recipe. Plus, I have a weakness for any cake made with buttermilk and lemon. I love the tangy moist texture of this cake, and would make this again just smeared with some jam, lemon curd and powdered sugar.

However, the highlight in my house was the luscious meringue buttercream. I can’t remember the last time I smeared a cake – or anything, for that matter - with a substance containing three whole sticks of butter, multiple cups of sugar and fluffy marshmallow-like beaten egg whites. This stuff should be classified as a dangerous substance by the DEA. My kids were content to lick the beaters and spatula (and I was too, just in case you were wondering), to the point that there was barely enough left to frost the darn cake.

Now that I think about it, that seems like a perfect arrangement. Piece of cake, scoop of buttercream on the side.


35 comments:

fanny said...

Oh I love the look of your cake. And that first picture. Even thought I really don't like buttercream, it looks so tempting.
xxx

Sara said...

I know how you feel! I've never made a buttercream before either and was a little bit shocked at all of the butter and sugar and whatnot, but hey, they don't call it a buttercream for nothing! Your final product looks fantastic.

Gretchen Noelle said...

You don't have to be a fancy decorator to make a delicious cake. You did a great job! Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE buttercream frosting. Too much probably.

Anne said...

That looks great - and wonderful photos :)

Madame K said...

Fanny, I know. I didn't think I liked buttercream, either. But I was mistaken!

Sara, it was fun to make...and dangerously delicious.

Ben, isn't it funny how sweet licks from the spoon bring out the naughty kid in us?

Thanks, Gretchen. I'm already looking forward to the next one. Who knows, maybe I'll start spinning flowers out of sugar...

Liza, yes, I know what you mean.

Thanks, Anne!

Kristen said...

I love the picture of the buttercream, gorgeous! Your cakes rose so much, what's your secret? Love the cake!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

You did an excellent job with your cake Karen!! Like you I am a bit of a hesitant baker..I almost skipped this challenge altogether being cake heavy this month with Easter and all...but in the end I am glad that I tried it:D

Proud Italian Cook said...

I'm a free form kind of girl like you, I must say it's a challenge for me to actually follow a recipe! But aren't you glad how it turned out? You did a great job Karen!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! :)

bakingblonde said...

That buttercream looks PERFECT!! I don't even like frosting but would love a big taste of that!
Your blog is awesome!!

Emily said...

Lovely!

I think I'm like you- I don't really enjoy decorating cakes that much. If I can do it fairly fast, then I'm ok, but anything intricate is impossible.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous first photo! I love your honest and easy approach to this cake. Well done!

Lesley said...

A dangerous substance by the DEA, that's funny.
Your cake looks lovely! You did a great job!

Merav said...

Your cake turned out beautifully!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh good grief: Piece of cake, scoop of buttercream on the side. What a picture you paint. I'm not a fancy decorate your cake kind either. I think the beauty of this cake is it's simple goodness. It really doesn't need fancy (I know some did) it's so very good without.
Yours is a beautiful cake Karen.

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Deocrating cakes in my house is pretty pitiful. Usually, I'm licking the spoon and eating the candy decorations. This cake is lovely and perfect and I say, let's just eat the buttercream!

Stella said...

Though I love pretty party cakes, I'm like you! I can't be bothered to put so much effort in decorating my cake & to see it gone in less 2seconds!

Your cake is as perfect!

Jenny said...

Karen,
Your cake looks beautiful! I was thinking the same thing when I joined, I am sooo not a baker! Fun to give it a whirl at least! Nice job!

Shelby said...

Oh, I don't care about the butter...I would lick that spatula happily! Its not like we do it everyday :)

test it comm said...

Your cake looks good. I really enjoyed the buttercream as well.

marias23 said...

I agree with you it's a dangerous substance! That and ice cream and chocolates! :)

Megan said...

I loved the buttercream!!! It was the best. I screwed it up in the dec. challange and had no idea what I missed. Its now my favorite frosting.

Anne said...

I love the cake itself minus all the other components :) Yours came out soft and fluffy! Your pictures are awesome :)

Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Out of your league? I think not. Your cake looks perfect.

Aoife said...

Peasant cook or not, your cake looks great! I especially like that first picture of the spatula. Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

Grace R. Freedman, Ph.D. said...

I love the look of your cake too, not fussy, yummy-looking and perfect for a family dinner. Anne's cakes are truly beautiful, but really that's too high a standard for most home cooks (which I am, and I guess I'm a "rustic" baker" too.) Stumbled on your blog because I write about family dinner...Love your blog!

Unknown said...

Cool picture with the fork! Great job.

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the whole icing thing, I to love that rustic simple approach but wasn't this cake fun to make gotta love Dorie. Your cake looks yummy

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I'm more into cooking than baking (though you probably knew that). Though blogging has gotten me more adventurous in the baking arena. I think your cake looks great, Karen!

Anonymous said...

Oh you know what... I really do want to lick that spoon! Mmmmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

we haven't heard from ms. karen in a long time so i'm thinking she either o-dosed on tangerine martini's OR her cake. hmmm??? where are you karen???

Amy said...

For someone who doesn't like to decorate cakes, I think that yours looks beautiful and delicious! I personally agree- I'd rather just spread some of the frosting flavor on as I eat.

I've tagged you for a little game, Six Word Memoir. If you feel like playing, check out my post:
http://www.deliciousbynature.com/2008/04/yay.html

Squishy said...

I think your cake looks adorable. It maybe a dangerous frosting but I like a little danger now and then. You have inpired me to bake a cake.

Tracy said...

Wow, that first photo of the buttercream is a thing of beauty. Great job!