3.14.2008

Candied Tangerines and a Tangerine-Tini Cocktail


This is your Drink of the Week


So, now that it’s Friday, let’s have a drink!

After looking at Elise’s Candied Kumquats at Simply Recipes and thirsting for one of Vanilla Garlic’s Kumquatinis, I rediscovered a container of candied tangerines I made last week to serve over pound cake. I’m crazy about these things.

The tangerine segments get plump as they soak in the thick, vanilla-bean laced syrup. When you put one in your mouth they burst with a juicy, tangy pop.



A week in the fridge is about long enough to keep them; any longer than that and they become limp and puckered, like a vinyl baby pool with a slow leak.


After fishing out the fruit, I gave the syrup a second life in my cocktail recipe.
Whoa, this drink is good.

Maybe too good for an afternoon sipper. I think I need a nap now. Hic-up.


Candied Tangerines
From Sunday Suppers at Lucques (Suzanne Goin)

½ vanilla bean
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
6 tangerines, peeled, separated into segments and any white pith removed

Split the vanilla bean lengthwise with a small sharp knife. Open up the bean and scrap the back of the knife down the inside to collect the pulp.

Add the vanilla bean, pulp, sugar and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Turn the heat to low and add the tangerines to the pan. Simmer 3 – 5 minutes, until the fruit looks puffy and shiny.

Strain the mixture and return the liquid to the pan. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce until slightly thickened – this takes just a few minutes. Cool the syrup completely before stirring in the tangerines. Store in the refrigerator.

Tangerine-Tini
Makes one drink

1 tangerine
2 ounces very cold citrus-flavored vodka
1 teaspoon chilled syrup from Candied Tangerines, or 1 teaspoon simple syrup

Juice the tangerine into an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Add the vodka and syrup; shake vigorously and strain into a cocktail glass. Salud!

If you need another drink, check out my other adult libations:

Juniperotivo

Passion Fruit Caipiroskas

Basil-Vodka Gimlets



Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Subscribe to FamilyStyle Food


Copyright (c) 2008 FamilyStyle Food

15 comments:

brandin + kari said...

Oh this is all too tempting on a Friday night! Too bad I have to work all weekend:( Thanks for the post. I love the idea of a tangerine-tini. Very creative!

Anonymous said...

now you're talkin'!!!

Stella said...

Beautiful shots! I'm sure this tastes heavenly!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I want to try both of those recipes! I immediately started thinking about the tangerines I have sitting in a bowl on the table.

Half Baked said...

I'll take one of each please:)! Beautiful photos!

R said...

vanilla bean PLUS alcohol has to equal perfection.

Anonymous said...

a girl after my own heart! had an amazing drink this weekend in NYC - a cocktail made like a mojito but using rosewater & real rose petals, which were muddled with limes, rum & a splash of champagne. it was pure heaven.

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Lovely! Perfect for the deck and the promise of spring! I may have to switch from my big bowl of Burgundy!

Deborah Dowd said...

I am all about the Friday cocktail. This looks delicious... and think about all the vitamin c from the tangerines!

Anonymous said...

Oh geez, that looks wonderful! What a perfect drink!

Alanna Kellogg said...

I think I need to start stopping by about 5pm on Fridays ...

Unknown said...

Beautiful photo!!! Glad you liked the drink! ;)

Helene said...

Great cocktail recipe! Made it monday night for guests and we all loved it! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sounds so refreshing!

Madame K said...

Anticiplate, you need a day off soon to indulge. It's 'tini time!

That's right, Cheesemonger's Wife!

Thanks, Stella. Bottoms up.

Liza, you're about ready for one, I can tell.

Half-baked - thanks! Cheers to you.

Vanilla bean is like magic, isn't it Rebecca? Oh, wait, maybe it's the alchohol that has that affect!

Maine626, that sounds too, too decadent. Rose water seems to be in at the moment, I've noticed.

Yes, Catherine, it's almost time!

Now you're talking Deborah. It's two good things in one.

Alanna, yes, why don't you?

Thanks for the inspiration, Garrett. Cheers!

Noble Pig, I'm glad you like it.

Oh, Tartelette, I'm happy to hear that! Here's to a long distance cocktail hour...

Lore, it's a nice change and good prep for margarita season.