3.11.2008

10-Second Mediterranean Salad


Toss this salad in a jiffy


Well, now that I have your attention, I admit this salad will take more than 10 seconds to toss together. Assuming you have all the ingredients ready, it might take few minutes - tops. Really. I think you can handle that.

What is it about instant gratification anyway? It’s like we’ve never lost our infantile urge to have our every need satisfied RIGHT NOW. We all know that it is just not possible to lose ten pounds in one day, or to change the world in five, but there’s always that hope. And I don’t know about you, but my days seem to be springing forth and losing substance. An hour’s worth, to be exact. I need it back!

But back to the salad – if you make a batch of the balsamic vinaigrette (adapted slightly from a recipe in the March ’08 Gourmet magazine) ahead of time, this will be a simple, speedy-fast meal. I love all the Mediterranean flavors in this salad recipe- everything from the artichokes to the chickpeas calls out to me. Oh, wait, it must be time for lunch...


10-Second Mediterranean Salad
inspired by a recipe in Whole Foods magazine


2 -4 tablespoons Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
1 jar or can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes in assorted colors if you can find them
Handful of leftover steamed green beans (optional)
¼ cup thinly sliced red onion or shallot
2 cups mixed prewashed salad greens
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
¼ cup soft goat or feta cheese

Put 2 tablespoons dressing in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients except cheese and toss gently. Add more dressing if you like. Crumble cheese over the top.
Serves 4.

Balsamic Vinaigrette: In a food processor, pulse ¾ cup balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoon Italian or flat-leaf parsley leaves, 2 teaspoons honey, 1 finely chopped shallot, 1 finely chopped garlic clove, and a dash of hot sauce. With motor running, slowly drizzle in ¾ cup olive oil or safflower oil until emulsified. Season with about 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt and fresh black pepper. Keep in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Subscribe to FamilyStyle Food


Copyright (c) 2008 FamilyStyle Food

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just looking for a quick dinner ideas, mostly leaning towards a mixed nean salad when my feeds told me you update a new post. This is Godsent, thanks a ton! :)

Anonymous said...

wow! This looks good. We are having crab cakes tonight, though. Wish you were here.

Emily said...

That is a beautiful looking salad. I'm getting hungry for some chickpeas.
I think I might look through some of your recipes for inspiration. I can't think of anything to make.
I know-I want to make that roasted baby goat.

Finla said...

Wow i love this salade you have made.
Never have had them, but i will make once

Patricia Scarpin said...

Karen, what a colorful, refreshing, healthy salad! Love it!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love the combination of flavours here:D

Sherry said...

Good sounding recipe. I've linked to you so my readers can also pick up this great idea for a light supper or Sunday brunch. It looks like Spring!

Anonymous said...

if i was to make this salad right now i would just chuck into a bowl: double the feta cheese, pine nuts, tomatoes, shallot and the dressing...eat it with a baguette. you version is much healthier. you are so good...i'm so bad.

test it comm said...

Nice looking salad. Those tomatoes look really interesting.

Anonymous said...

My, you make healthy food look delicious!

Stella said...

What a beautiful Salad!
Please can I have some for lunch tomorrow?!

Madame K said...

Meena, I'm glad this salad turned into dinner for you. Great!

Liza, crab cakes with you sound good too.

Emiline, ha-ha! It was a lamb, silly.

Happy Cook, thank you. I hope you enjoy.

Patricia, thanks. Cheers!

Bellini, I guess you've noticed this combination gets used a lot in my house...

Sherry, thanks! Spring is coming for sure. I'm adjusting my meal cravings from braise to salad.

Cheesemonger's Wife. I would definitely join you in that feast!
I'm really not that good.

Kevin, the tomatoes were from Costco. They came in a lovely assortment and I couldn't resist.

Yes, Valentina, please do!

Madame K said...

Beth, thanks for stopping by.
It only looks healthy by default, really.

Jenny said...

Just my style, quick and tasty! This looks fantastic! Great picture!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

This looks like summer on a plate, Karen. What's not to love about it?

Deborah Dowd said...

Yum! This salad makes me hopeul Spring has really sprung- it looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

Karen,I love how this salad looks and can only imagine how good it will taste. You have so many wonderful idea on your site!

Lori said...

I will be making this soon. i have all the ingredients. You do always make healthy ingredients look so appealing. Thank you for the inspiration.