12.17.2007

Maida Heatter's Chocolate Whoppers


My favorite cookie is a Whopper


A long while ago, I lived in Miami and spent a few years working at a wine store; tasting, spitting, not spitting (a job perk), unloading cases of wine and every once in a while selling wine to customers.

One of my clients was none other than Maida Heatter, renowned cookbook writer and baker. She lived (and probably still does) in Miami Beach and would come in periodically to stock up on wine and gourmet goodies. She had a sweetly disarming way about her; she'd usually bring in some of her cellophane-wrapped homemade cookies for us to sample.

When we'd swoon with delight and thank her profusely she'd yell, "Honey, I can't hear you, I'm deaf as a post. Now where's that chardonnay I bought last time?"

I hope that she's been outfitted with one of those high-tech hearing aids these days, because if she were listening I'd tell her, loudly, about how I've been collecting her cookbooks and using her delicious, never-fail recipes for cookies and sweets for years and years now. I just love her.

In fact, my most favorite cookie is Maida's Chocolate Whopper, a big, fat, brownie-like confection with a crisp, shiny top and a moist, dark and nutty chocolate interior worthy of the word "devilish".

They come together in minutes, and all you need to do is drop blobs of the batter onto baking sheets.

You will be very popular if you make these and then give them to people. Just keep a few for yourself, too.

Check out everything Maida at Squidoo Food, Anna's Whoppers at Cookie Madness, and Mondays with Maida over at My Little Kitchen.




Chocolate Whoppers
Makes about 15 large cookies

6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 ounces chocolate chips
1 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
1 cup walnut halves, broken into large pieces (or use all pecans; I do because I’m not a walnut fan)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir until gently until just melted.

Whisk the flour in a small bowl with salt and baking powder. Beat the eggs, sugar, espresso and vanilla in a large bowl using an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.

Mix in the chocolate mixture until just blended. Add the flour mixture and beat at low speed until incorporated. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.

Use a 1/3-cup measure to form the dough and drop onto baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.

Bake 17 minutes on the upper and middle racks, or until the tops are dry and shiny, shifting the sheets halfway through baking. Slide the parchment with cookies onto wire racks to cool completely.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

12 comments:

Jenny said...

Yummmmmm! Bring on the chocolate! I've been making chocolate cookies for the past 2 weeks. These will make a great addition.

Emily said...

They look delicious! Maida Heatter sounds like quite a character. I think I've seen her famous brownie recipes on a few blogs.
At first I thought you left the "Whoppers" out, or the malted milk powder, but I'm an idiot.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, Karen, these are luscious!
I'll have to add them to my holiday baking list... :)

Anonymous said...

I think when I go to heaven, I want a couple dozen of these babies in my overnight bag!
Happy Holidays Karen!
Stacy

Ronnie Weston said...

These look amazing. This post and recipe come just in time for my son's arrival home from college. Thanks from me and I am sure from him!

Madame K said...

Jenny,now is the time to totally indulge in chocolate. Enjoy...

Emiline, now that you mention it, malted milk balls might be brilliant in these! Must try.

Patricia, they might not be typically "holiday" cookies, but they are so good.

Stacy, I'll pack them up for you, but hopefully not for a few hundred years.

Ronnie, enjoy your son's homecoming and I'm sure he will love some sweet treats.

Katy said...

Yum!!! sounds so rich and delicious!

Dianne's Dishes said...

Oh wow! Those look amazing. I love chocolate cookies!

SteamyKitchen said...

making these tomorrow!

Deborah Dowd said...

These look like a great addition to my Christmas cookie reperatoire... and so easy! Have a very Merry Christmas, and the time to enjoy all its blessings!

Lisa said...

Heavens! I don't even eat cookies, hardly, but I want to reach out and grab several of those right away. I don't care if it is New Year's resolution time. Just gorgeous.

china clay teapot said...

The purple sand pot is afraid of smell
The absorption of purple sand pot is very strong; In addition to easy to absorb oil, purple sand pot is also easy to absorb flavor and strong function. For tea raising pot, it is a good thing, but if it is some strange taste, do you think you can still drink it? Generally the delicate purple sand pot can not brew two kinds of tea in China Purple Clay Teapotone pot
The purple sand kettle is afraid of detergent
Chemical dishwashing washes away the absorbed flavor of the tea in the pot, and even erases the luster of the pot. It is better to choYixing Purple Clay Teapot Setose a milder method
The purple saPurple Clay Teapot With Infusernd pot is afraid of big temperature difference
Usually, 80 to 100 degrees of water is used to make tea. In addition, the genHandmade Ceramic Teapoteral recommended firing temperature is between 1050 to 1200 degrees so, undeCheap Ceramic Teapotsr normal circumstances, are recommended for high temperature resistant performance is very good but have a bit need special attention, if there are any short time quenching heat, are recommAuthentic Purple Clay Teapotended to burst phenomeno