12.22.2007

Cherry Pistachio Biscotti Dipped in White Chocolate


Festive treats for holiday cheer

Biscotti are great all-around cookies. I like that they're easy to make and keep for a week or two on the kitchen counter, so you can bake them ahead of time. It's also a cinch to take a basic recipe and play around with themes and variations - you could mix in any kind of nut, chip or dried fruit in endless combinations. Think apricots and almonds, cranberries and pecans, hazelnuts and chocolate chips.

Sometimes I like to drizzle my biscotti with melted chocolate, as I did here. They look especially festive on the Christmas cookie tray.

Cherry Pistachio Biscotti
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoons orange extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups dried cherries, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cups shelled raw pistachios, chopped
4 ounces chopped white chocolate

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beating well; beat in orange zest and extract.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in 1 cup each cranberries and pistachios until evenly mixed.

Divide dough in half. Using lightly floured hands, shape each portion into a 14" x 2" log. Place both logs 3" apart on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool logs on baking sheet 10 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 300 degrees.

Cut each log into 1/2"-thick diagonal slices with a serrated knife using a gentle sawing motion. Stand slices on their sides on baking sheet. Bake 15 more minutes. Transfer biscotti to wire racks to cool completely.

Melt chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl on medium-high heat in 2 15-second intervals, stirring in between. Try not to overheat, because white chocolate can burn easily.

Dip one end of each biscotti into the melted chocolate and sprinkle with reserved cherries and pistachios. Allow to set about 1 hour before serving.



Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

10 comments:

Stef said...

Nice combination. Sounds great! Happy holidays!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I think you mucst be telepathic. I has been looking for a biscotti recipe when I came on today. I hope that you have wonderful holiday season with family and frineds...and that it is all that you hope for and more!! Much love and hapiness in 2008!

Emily said...

This biscotti sounds wonderful! I love biscotti...I also feel like people don't use enough cherries.
Merry Christmas!

Kristen - Dine & Dish said...

This sounds like it would be the perfect flavor combo. Looks great!

Merry Christmas!

Deborah Dowd said...

These look so delicious! What I need right now is a great recipe for celery sticks!

Anonymous said...

This look so pretty and yummy. I love the decadent touch of white chocolate. . .

KayKat said...

*drool*!

Ok, I refuse to indulge in white chocolate, but I'm definitely going to be trying this biscotti - think the cherry&pistachio combination is a great idea!

Madame K said...

Happy New Year all!

Hope you had a great holiday, filled with biscotti and other good things.

R said...

Where do you find already-shelled pistachios? (Which store, or in what section) It's something I've tried finding before, and then came across this post, so I figured you'd be perfect to ask! (I'm notorious for looking for, and not finding, specific things in grocery stores. I am convinced that I could do a better job organizing grocery stores.)

I'm new to the site. . . but a big huge super congratulations on starting your own business! I hope it's going well!

Anonymous said...

great recipe. i have only made savory biscotti so a good addition to might might-try list! Meanwhile, I have an interview with someone who might interest you on my blog -- someone who starrted a biscotti making business. The site is Cooking with ideas and the url is http://www.cookingwithideas.typepad.com

bibliochgef