11.21.2007

Whole Grain Dinner Rolls with 3 Seeds


Whole wheat dinner rolls; tender and wholesome


I don't know about you, but when I'm planning what to prepare for my Thanksgiving table, bread tends to be one of the last things on the list; it might be that this most traditional of all meals is already packed with bread and starchy foods, from the stuffing right down to the multiple sides of potatoes, sweet potato and squash.

Admittedly, I avoid stuffing if at all possible. I just don't see the point of eating turkey-scented bread cubes when I can save room for the main event.

That's why I totally approve of dinner rolls for Thanksgiving - small rounds of fresh, warm bread to sop up your gravy is just perfect. You don't need to overcommit to a large pile of stuffing.

I got a little ahead of myself this year (yes, and also because I wanted to post this recipe before the big day) My recipe is based on one from the Martha Stewart Living Cookbook (they're called "Health Rolls" in the book; I think we can do better than that). I made the dough in my bread machine, which I highly recommend, if you have one. You can even shape the rolls ahead of time, put them in the pan and refrigerate up to one day ahead. Just let them come to room temperature before baking.

Whole Grain Dinner Rolls with 3 Seeds
Makes 16 rolls

1/2 cup bulgur wheat
1 cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 -3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons active-dry yeast
1 tablespoon EACH sesame, flax, and poppy seeds
1 tablespoon flaked sea salt

Cook the bulgur in 2 cups boiling water in a medium saucepan until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Cool.

Place the milk, eggs, honey, oil, whole wheat flour, 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, oats, cooled bulgur, salt and yeast in a bread machine in the order given. Process on the "dough" mode, adding more flour if needed.

Remove dough from bread machine pan and from into 16 balls. Arrange in two 8-inch round oiled cake pans. Brush tops with oil, cover and let rise 20 -25 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle roll tops with the seeds and salt; bake until dark golden brown on top, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool in the pan 10 minutes before unmolding. Serve warm.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

8 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Now those are dinner rolls I could get excited about. I love the crunchy seeds on top which give it more flavor and texture. Happy Thanksgiving!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Karen, these rolls are irresistible!

Freya said...

We don't have dinner rolls in the UK and I always like to fill up on them when I eat at my parents-in-law!

Deborah Dowd said...

These rolls look really beautiful! I can almost smell them from here!

Emily said...

These rolls sound really hearty and delicious.
I filled up on rolls and stuffing, on Thanksgiving. I don't really think you can ever get enough bread.
I checked out Martha's Baking Handbook from the library. The photographs are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! ;-)

JANET said...

I have wondered how to make whole wheat breads. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Dana said...

Mmm...there's nothing like, warm homemade rolls, is there?? These look great.