7.15.2007

Weekend Herb Blogging: Lavender Lemonade


Herbal Refreshment


In my front-door herb garden, my lavender plants are in the starring role right now -- you can smell the blooms from across the street!

I've been noticing lots of recipes for lavender that are intriguing me (rubs, panna cottas, roasted chickens and shortbread cookies), but time is of the essence, and today is hot.

I saw this recipe in the August issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray (She's everywhere!) and made up a batch. It has a nice undertone of lavender and seems to be a perfect partner with lemon.

Susan at FoodBlogga is hosting Weekend Herb Blogging this week. Go on over and check out what's growing and cooking.




Lavender Lemonade
adapted from Everyday with Rachael Ray


7 cups boiling water
2 tablespoons fresh lavender flower buds
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice

Pour 3 cups of the water over the lavender in a heat-proof bowl; let steep 15 minutes. Pour remaining water over sugar in another large heat-proof bowl and stir until dissolved.

Strain lavender mixture and pour into a pitcher along with water and lemon juice. Chill.

Serve over ice with a lavender sprig.

Beautiful Bins of Lavender at the Portland Farmer's Market


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

11 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

This is such a refreshing and pretty summertime drink. I just have to try it!

Kalyn Denny said...

Wow the lavender is gorgeous. I like the smell, but I'm still not sure about the taste! (Kind of like all those people who don't like cilantro I guess!) I would try it though if you made me some!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I have mounds of lavendar in my yard, so I'll have to try this. When is the best time to pick lavendar to use in recipes?

Anonymous said...

I am just back from Washington (as you know, Karen!) where lavender grows everywhere! They put it in everything. I will definitely try this lemonade--as soon as I get out to my garden to see how my lavender is faring!

Stella said...

I wish I had fresh lavender in my country!
Your drink really looks uber refreshing & irresistible, I wouldn't mind having a sip;P

Madame K said...

Susan, it is thirst-quenching!

Kalyn, the flavor can be a little strong, but in this recipe it blends nicely. I also love to make a homemade Herbes de Provence mix with fresh rosemary, thyme and lavender. Stuff it in a chicken before roasting - heavenly!

Lynn, Thanks! I think you can pick the lavender anytime. The buds and blooms last a long time, and you can easily dry them in your kitchen.

Liza, I bet they're all so tranquil out there in Seattle with lavender in everything!

Valentina, is it possible for you to grow some?

Brilynn said...

My garden is overrun with lavender right now too, I definitely want to make this!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Lavender is my favourite summertime flower!!! I love honey infused subtely with lavender. At the annual Lavender Frestival I have tried shortbread cookies and scones infused with lavender. All delicious!!!This iced lemonade looks fantastic for these hot summer days!!!

Madame K said...

Margarita, the scones sound fantastic. I think I must be ready for breakfast...

This lemonade is refreshing, and I like to think it's calming, as well. I need that on a busy summer day!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I love this idea~ I may have to give it a try. As hot as it has been here I would drink a pitcher full!
Thanks for stopping by. I am happy to have found your space. I'll be back!

Madame K said...

Brilynn, don't you just love being overrun with lavendar?!


Sandi, this is a great drink to sip on a hot day, for sure. Enjoy - thanks for visiting...