7.10.2007

Cool Cucumber Noodle Salad


Healthy and Fast = Great Summer Meal


Let me pass on this recipe before I have to run off again - I swear my days have less minutes in them lately. Whatever happened to the lazy days of summer? All I've been doing this week is driving around town and perspiring a lot. Well, okay, I did sit by the pool a couple times last week.

This is a great recipe based on one from Cooking Light, perfect when you crave cool, crunchy, vegetable-ly food and you don't feel like cooking much of anything.

Spicy Cucumber Noodle Salad with Edamame

makes 4 - 6 servings

8 ounces uncooked soba (buckwheat noodles)
1 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans)
1 cup diced English cucumber
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons white miso (soybean paste)
1 teaspoon soy sauce (low-sodium, if you prefer)
1 teaspoon Asian chile paste with garlic
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper

1. Cook noodles in boiling salted water 2 minutes; add edamame. Bring to a boil and cook 2 more minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain and set aside to cool. Dump noodles into a large bowl and toss with the cucumber and onions.

2. Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, lime juice, miso, soy sauce, chile paste and sesame oil in a medium bowl. Pour dressing over the noodles; add bell pepper and toss well to combine.

The salad will keep, chilled, up to 2 days.

Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

10 comments:

Unknown said...

looks delicious...this is my kind of meal...quick, simple, and healthy!!
Thanks for sharing...

SteamyKitchen said...

What a great idea to use miso in the noodle salad...

::scurrying to the kitchen to make sure I have miso paste::

Kalyn Denny said...

It does look good and perfect for summer. And healthy too, with the buckwheat noodles and miso paste.

Anonymous said...

This is exactly the type of thing I love to eat during the summer! I was actually just about to put together a pasta salad of some sort :-)

Madame K said...

Thanks, Dani, enjoy!slwlz

Jaden, I hope you can find the miso, but the dressing will taste good without it. Maybe use a little more soy sauce and sesame oil...and a tiny bit of sugar?

Kalyn, buckwheat does seem healthy, exeept when I make crepes with buckwheat flour and tons of butter!

Nicole, there you go! Thanks...

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get home and make this (well, I can wait to get home, but when I get there, I will make this for sure!)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I just made a very similar dish but without the miso. I used soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, and lime. I'll have to try it next time. I just love these fresh and easy Asian noodles dishes, and yours looks so tasty. Now, go back to the pool to lounge a little bit more. :)

Madame K said...

Liza, get home safely! Hope you ate well (I think you probably did).

Susan, I like the sound of your recipe too. Perfect for eating poolside!

Stella said...

Oh Your noodle salad looks really really yummy! And I loooove edamame!

Joe said...

I had this recipe set aside to make, but I just never get around to it. Probably because I wouldn't know what to do with the big jar of miso after the couple of tablespoons!