5.27.2007

Tuna Burgers with Wasabi Mayonnaise


Bring on the Burgers!


Okay, so this weekend officially marks the beginning of Burger Season. I’m embarking on a burger bash that will probably go on all summer, or at least until I run out of charcoal.

And, for those of you who are interested, check me out on TV! The Build a Better Burger III Challenge is on Food Network this Monday, May 28th. I’m cringing in anticipation. At least I can tell you that I wasn’t one of the winners, and that the Iron Chef-style judging was a little grueling. My finalist recipe for Coconut Basil Chicken burgers is on the Food Network site.

Back to reality, these tuna burgers are at the top of my favorites list. Admittedly, the price of tuna has risen alarmingly since I last made these – I’m talking twenty bucks a pound – and I hesitated a moment before buying it. But after eating them, I can say it’s worth the splurge. And possibly, the price of tuna will vary if you happen to live next to an ocean.

The recipe is from Sara Foster and appeared in Cottage Living magazine. I didn’t change much; just switched panko for the bread crumbs and tweaked the seasoning a little.



I have to add that the wasabi mayonnaise is extra-tasty made with Kewpie mayonnaise (have a look at their interesting website) from Japan. It’s my new favorite condiment. Did you know that the Japanese are crazy about mayonnaise? Kewpie is smoother and eggier than my Hellmann’s and made with rice vinegar. I love the star tip on the container, which produces decorative mayonnaise swirls when you squeeze the container.




For more creative food-blogger burgers, have a look at Writing at the Kitchen Table. Freya and Paul are hosting Big Burger Ballyhoo. I can’t wait to see the results.


Tuna Burgers with Wasabi Mayonnaise

Makes 6 burgers

2 pounds very cold, skinless yellowfin tuna, cut into chunks (I chill the tuna in the freezer for 10 minutes before starting – it’s a lot easier to chop and handle)
1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/3 cup panko crumbs
2 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
A few handfuls mixed salad greens
6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
Fresh chives

Wasabi Mayonnaise:
1 cup mayonnaise
2 minced green onions
2 teaspoons wasabi powder
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste


1. Place first 4 ingredients in a food processor. Pulse briefly, just until the mixture is roughly chopped. Add the panko, onions, ginger, soy sauce and pepper; pulse again to combine. Form into 6 patties and place on a baking sheet or shallow baking dish. Cover and chill 30 minutes.

2. Mix together all ingredients for the Wasabi Mayonnaise, cover and chill until serving time.

3. Grill the burgers over medium-high heat about 3 minutes per side. Be careful not to overcook; these are best removed from the grill rare and left loosely covered for a few minutes to finish cooking to medium-rare. Overcooked tuna will be dry.

4. Serve the burgers on lettuce lined buns and topped with the wasabi mayonnaise, avocado slices and chives.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

19 comments:

Freya said...

We'd like to include this magnificent looking burger in the competition and as there's nobody in the Fish category yet it would be very appropriate. Please send us an E-mail if you're okay with this.

Kalyn Denny said...

This sounds so amazing! I wonder if I can get that mayo here?

Madame K said...

Freya and Paul - I'm thrilled! Please do feel free to include the tuna burger.

Kalyn, you might check your local Asian market - or I could send you some...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE kewpie mayonnaise and also have the other sauce that goes on top of okonomiyaki in my fridge too. I use both the mayonnaise and sauce on top of lots of things ;)
I really enjoy tuna although my hubby is not so much of a fan. I think this burger may change his mind though!

Anonymous said...

This recipe goes on the must prepare list for the summer. Anxious to see the food network one as well. The closest asian market is about 45 minutes away but it sounds worth it.

Alanna Kellogg said...

On TV? Can I come over? I'd like to see you watching you ... ;-) and better yet, the kids watching you!

Madame K said...

Cin - I'm intrigued about the other sauce. Is it made by Kewpie too?
I hope you can convince the hubby!

Ronnie - This is a great summer burger. Enjoy!

Alanna - I'm going the TiVo route, so I can fast forward through any uncomfortable parts!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy. Wasabi mustard is also great if you haven't tried it before. :)

Deborah Dowd said...

Congratulations on being a Food Network star! I am trying these burgers this Friday!

Helene said...

Congrats for being on TV, how exciting!
I love tuna burger and this is a great change form my stapple recipe. Thanks!

Madame K said...

Deborah and Helen, Thanks! It was actually fun to watch the whole event on television.

Enjoy the burgers!

Rob, I've tried one from Stonewall Kitchen that I like - that could be a great substitution for the Dijon in this recipe. Good idea!

Anonymous said...

I love tuna and the recipe sounds great Karen... I'll definitely give it a try!! Sorry I missed your TV appearance.

Madame K said...

Thanks, Bruno. I'm sure the episode will be rebroadcast, over and over again.

Hope you enjoy the burgers...

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Aw, I've been out of town and away from the computer for a few days. I'm so sorry I missed the show. I would have loved to have seen you. You are so talented, Karen. I wish you every success!

Lisa said...

Wow, those tuna burgers look and sound delectable! I must try them. And, wow! You were on TV!!! That's wonderful (although you mentioned "grueling," which I'm sure those competitions must be, as well as thrilling). Boo hoo, I didn't see the post about the show till now; wonder if they'll replay it?

That mayo is too much! I'm going to look for it.

Peter M said...

Thanks for the tuna burger recipe and the mayo idea. I have a Japanese store nearby & I'll see if they have some!

Peter M said...

Update, I just visited the Japanese store and they had it. I paid $4.95 cdn. for the bottle...I now must make something with it!

Nora B. said...

Karen, this sounds delicious. Now I have something different to do with tuna. Thanks!

Madame K said...

Thanks, Susan. I know Food Network is repeating the show throughout the summer, so check the listings.

Lisa, grueling, but definitely thrilling. I had a great time.

Peter, wow, I'm glad you could track the Kewpie down so quickly! Let me know how you like it...

Nora, I love tuna too. I hope you like the burgers.