5.30.2007

Happy Hour: Passion Fruit Caipiroska


Cool Cocktail


Tomorrow is the last day of school, the community pool is open for the season, and I have my first dozen mosquito bites. Summer's here!

I made a big batch of these delicious Brazilian-style summer drinks for a Memorial Day bash last weekend. I only allowed myself one, but I've been thirsty for another. Passion fruit has an intensely tropical candy-like taste that I love, and this drink is a perfect foil for the vodka - you don't really taste it. Which can be a problem. Sometimes.

Have one or two in the backyard while fending off those bloodthirsty insects, and you'll be a happy camper.

Passion Fruit Caipiroskas
makes 6 drinks
from Food and Wine magazine, June 2006

3/4 cup frozen pure passion fruit puree, thawed (Note: I use Goya brand frozen fruit pulp from my international grocer)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 6 limes)
1 1/4 cups vodka
Garnish: 6 thin lime slices

Stir together all ingredients in a pitcher until sugar is dissolved.
Pour over crushed ice. Garnish with a lime slice.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want one of these! Yum.

--Liza

Madame K said...

I'll make one for you soon!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh! Yes please!

Deborah Dowd said...

Maybe this will make me forget the itching of those first mosquito bites!

Anonymous said...

I bet this is so refreshing! Yum!

Tony said...

When I want a change of pace from red wine, I go with a Rob Roy. Here is my recipe:

2 jiggers Johnnie Walker Red Label scotch
1 thimbleful dry vermouth
1 thimbleful sweet vermouth
(Martini & Rossi is fine)
1 dash orange bitters (available from Fee Brothers: www.feebrothers.com)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a shaker half-filled with ice. Stir well, strain into a cocktail glass, add bitters and garnish with an orange twist.

janelle said...

I love those glasses:) I own quite a few of them myself. I love the pretty colors. Great minds must think alike: I just posted a very summery drink as well: http://www.talkoftomatoes.com/2007/05/30/rumminess/

Toast!

Sylvia said...

I´m brazilian living now in Buenos Aires.I prefer passion fruit as lime .Beatiful photo.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Sounds delicious - and a bit dangerous. Too easy to forget there's vodka in there. :-)

Madame K said...

Tony - When are you going to invite me over for one of your cocktails??

Holler, come on over!

Deborah, it does help :-)

Kristen - So refreshing, but I still haven't had a chance to try another one. Maybe this weekend.

Janelle - I know, the glasses are great. I wish they were mine! They belong to my friend and party hostess.
Cheers!

Sylvia, thanks for visiting. I bet you enjoy great drinks in Buenos Aires!

Lynn - yes, that can be a problem. Sigh.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I'll have to remember these next time I have company. They look so colorful and refreshing!

Lisa said...

Another wonderful cocktail recipe. Thanks! Wonderful glass, too.

Madame K said...

Susan and Lisa, Here's to summer!