5.30.2007

Happy Hour: Passion Fruit Caipiroska


Cool Cocktail


Tomorrow is the last day of school, the community pool is open for the season, and I have my first dozen mosquito bites. Summer's here!

I made a big batch of these delicious Brazilian-style summer drinks for a Memorial Day bash last weekend. I only allowed myself one, but I've been thirsty for another. Passion fruit has an intensely tropical candy-like taste that I love, and this drink is a perfect foil for the vodka - you don't really taste it. Which can be a problem. Sometimes.

Have one or two in the backyard while fending off those bloodthirsty insects, and you'll be a happy camper.

Passion Fruit Caipiroskas
makes 6 drinks
from Food and Wine magazine, June 2006

3/4 cup frozen pure passion fruit puree, thawed (Note: I use Goya brand frozen fruit pulp from my international grocer)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 6 limes)
1 1/4 cups vodka
Garnish: 6 thin lime slices

Stir together all ingredients in a pitcher until sugar is dissolved.
Pour over crushed ice. Garnish with a lime slice.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

13 comments:

Liza said...

I want one of these! Yum.

--Liza

Karen said...

I'll make one for you soon!

Holler said...

Oh! Yes please!

Deborah Dowd said...

Maybe this will make me forget the itching of those first mosquito bites!

Kristen said...

I bet this is so refreshing! Yum!

Tony said...

When I want a change of pace from red wine, I go with a Rob Roy. Here is my recipe:

2 jiggers Johnnie Walker Red Label scotch
1 thimbleful dry vermouth
1 thimbleful sweet vermouth
(Martini & Rossi is fine)
1 dash orange bitters (available from Fee Brothers: www.feebrothers.com)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a shaker half-filled with ice. Stir well, strain into a cocktail glass, add bitters and garnish with an orange twist.

janelle said...

I love those glasses:) I own quite a few of them myself. I love the pretty colors. Great minds must think alike: I just posted a very summery drink as well: http://www.talkoftomatoes.com/2007/05/30/rumminess/

Toast!

Sylvia said...

I´m brazilian living now in Buenos Aires.I prefer passion fruit as lime .Beatiful photo.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Sounds delicious - and a bit dangerous. Too easy to forget there's vodka in there. :-)

Karen said...

Tony - When are you going to invite me over for one of your cocktails??

Holler, come on over!

Deborah, it does help :-)

Kristen - So refreshing, but I still haven't had a chance to try another one. Maybe this weekend.

Janelle - I know, the glasses are great. I wish they were mine! They belong to my friend and party hostess.
Cheers!

Sylvia, thanks for visiting. I bet you enjoy great drinks in Buenos Aires!

Lynn - yes, that can be a problem. Sigh.

Susan said...

I'll have to remember these next time I have company. They look so colorful and refreshing!

Lisa said...

Another wonderful cocktail recipe. Thanks! Wonderful glass, too.

Karen said...

Susan and Lisa, Here's to summer!