2.11.2007

Kid Friendly


Fun refresher


While on the subject of cocktails, I just saw this post on Gastrokid, a blog co-authored by Bon Appetit magazine feature editor Hugh Garvey.

Around the holidays, I created a drink for the grown-ups, and my daughter immediately requested her own “special” drink. Of course!

I poured her some of my favorite blood orange soda from Target, added some fresh tangerine juice, an orange slice and a real maraschino cherry. She was thrilled to have a big-girl glass that wasn’t plastic, and to join the circle of grown-ups. Our kids don’t drink soft drinks of any kind (because we usually don’t have it in the house, because we’re mean, mean foodie purists) so the little bubbles in her glass were especially fun. Things only got of hand when she soon tired of the charm school sipping technique and began lapping the drink out of her glass like a kitty cat.

Anyway. On my next trip to the grocery store, I thought I’d pick up a bottle of grenadine to have around for any future “mocktails”. Why was I surprised to find that the brand most widely available, Rose’s, is mostly high-fructose corn syrup and food coloring? Real grenadine derives its color and flavor from pomegranates; the stuff you get for $3.99 is totally artificial.

That partly explains why I purchased Sonoma Syrup Company’s pomegranate infused simple syrup the other day - it’s a mixture of cane sugar, water and pomegranate juice. Simple syrup! I know that you and I could make this at home for about two cents, but I guess that explains the other reason I was taken in by this product: I’m a sucker for a pretty package. Yes, I will gravitate toward an overpriced bottle of sugar water like a wasp to a popsicle if there’s a nicely designed label stuck to it.

However, since my intent is to allow my kids to develop a taste for real food whenever possible, I feel it’s a worthwhile investment.

Sparkly Pom-Pom

For one drink, put some ice cubes in a small glass. Add about a teaspoon of grenadine syrup, or some pomegranate juice. Top with sparkling water or real fruit soda, stir and garnish with orange slices and a cherry.

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

7 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

What an imp! Hi, A!

Nupur said...

How cute is your kid, sipping her little mocktail?? I have a grenadine story that I should tell you sometime :)

Anonymous said...

My kids would love this!
I'm a sucker for pretty packaging too. That is why I have to really limit myself from going into Target too often. They are all about marketing to people like me!

Tony said...

Karen,

Me, I'm a rye whiskey man, neat with a soda (no ice) on the side.

TLR

janelle said...

Wow: your daughter looks just like you! Adorable!

I am a huge fan of mocktails for kiddos, in fact my son had a chef themed birthday party (where did he get that idea from?!!?!?!?) and we concocted italian sodas with---you guessed it---simple syrup! Check here: http://talkoftomatoes.com/2006/10/16/italian-sodas-not-for-kids-only/

I buy the blood orange soda from Trader Joes:). Divine in adult cocktails too!

Madame K said...

Alanna - yes, exactly.

Nupur - I can't wait to hear it!

Kristen - I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who looks forward to a Target trip. Sometimes it can be the highlight of my day.

Tony - You are a man straight out of a Dashiell Hammett novel.

TOT - Wow, I want to attend cocktail hour at your house!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.