2.09.2007

Friday Night Cocktail Hour



Mommy Needs a Drink

This past week has depleted me in various ways.

There have been intense hours devoted to a fitful fourth-grader’s book report project, struggles with a five year old and his obstinate desire to play endless Star Wars video games, and one emotional family anniversary. And it’s all wrapped up in my daily struggle to find the time to pursue my own creative ambitions. Sound like the sweet life of a forty-something mother?

So tonight, I hired J’s very favorite sitter and we’ll be leaving the house. Yes, we’re having an away-from-home date, our first in I don’t know how long. Before we go, I think I’ll make a batch of Juniperotivos. I first heard about this drink on egullet. Apparently, it's a “proprietary” drink created by bartender Jerri Banks at the Pegu Club in Manhattan. It's tangy-sweet and utterly refreshing.

Junipero is a gin made by the Anchor Steam brewing company, an example of the many artisanal gins currently saturating the trendy cocktail scene. T fancies gin, and we just happen to have a bottle of this stuff in the house. But, you know, I’ve made it with other brands of gin, and it’s still absolutely delicious. Erielle of Fancy Toast made a sparkling version of this recently that looks especially festive.

Juniperotivo
for 2 drinks

4 ounces Junipero or other premium gin
2 ounces fresh lime juice
2 ounces simple syrup*
1 ounce pomegranate molasses**
2 sprigs of mint or very thinly sliced lime wheels



Shake all ingredients vigorously with ice. Strain into 2 chilled cocktail glasses and garnish with mint leaves or lime.

Note: one ounce = 2 tablespoons
* I always have simple syrup in the refrigerator these days - because you never know when Mommy will want a fancy drink. To make it, just dissolve 1 cup sugar in 1 cup boiling water and cool.

** Look for pomegranate molasses in specialty food stores and some supermarkets in the middle eastern section. Substitute pure pomegranate juice if you can't find it.




Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

5 comments:

Lisa said...

OK, this looks and sounds delicious. Perhaps this is the fancy cocktail we need to drink on Oscar night!

And -- I really must bite the bullet and make some simple syrup. Why do I balk? It's stunningly easy and the lack of it has kept me more than once from trying a fun new drink. You've shamed me into it.

That cocktail on Fancy Toast looked really great, too, didn't it?

Anonymous said...

A real life date?? I hope you had a fabulous time and that you were able to de-stress and have some fun.
That looks like a very good cocktail. I must confess, we had some friends over last night for much needed cocktails as well. Sometimes, you just need a nice drink to get through the week!

Nupur said...

That drink looks sooo good...I want some now! (But it is 6.30 am on a Monday morning so maybe not, eh?)

Madame K said...

Lisa, I know. I sometimes get lazy about the thought of making it, but why??
Next thing you know, you'll be infusing your syrup with all sorts of things...

Kristen, I agree that a good cocktail can be better than therapy!

Nupur, I'll be happy to fix you a drink soon.

janelle said...

Mommy needs a drink. I LOVE IT, and agree... on my way to go make one... I go through phases where I make up my own or just go back to the basics. Life is short: mix a drink!