9.28.2006

Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles



Spice is Nice

Today I needed to make a batch of these cookies, because I saw them in the recipe magazine my grocery store publishes with the disclaimer that their testing panel couldn't stop eating them. That's all I need to hear; plus the recipe is simple AND they boast the wonderful name "snickerdoodle".

When I told my son what they were called as I held one out, he looked at me as if I'd just offered to give him an atomic wedgie. They're actually a very old-fashioned type of cookie that expert Nancy Baggett describes in her comprehensive book, All American Cookie, as "remarkable" for their good keeping quality and especially their texture: crisp on the outside and more chewy toward the middle as you work your way in.

Aside from their plain-prettiness, I found them a little too sweet, I mean my teeth actually hurt when I ate a few. But don't let that detail stop you from making these. I'm known for my sugar-sensitive pearlies!

Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles
adapted from Dierberg's Everybody Cook's magazine

2 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon each: ground cinnamon, ginger and cardamom
1/2 teaspoon each: ground allspice and white pepper
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup softened unsalted butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder



Stir together the sugar with all the spices in a small bowl; remove 1/2 cup to a pie plate on the side for dredging the cookies. Add cocoa to small bowl with sugar/spice mixture and stir to blend.

Beat butter in an electric mixer bowl until fluffy. Add the spiced cocoa mixture and beat until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, then add flour and baking powder at low speed until combined.

Form 1-tablespoonful sized balls. Roll them in the reserved sugar mixture and arrange 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees 12-15 minutes. Cool in the pan for a few minutes before transfering to a rack to cool.

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.



Copyright (c) 2006 FamilyStyle

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, these look good!
Is there supposed to be some cocoa in the ingredients? How much did you use? And did you use salted butter?

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Chai cookies! I'll definitely have to give these a try. They look delicious.

Madame K said...

Oops! Thanks for noticing that. I totally forgot the cocoa in the ingredient list. Yes, should be 1/2 cup cocoa in there, and unsalted butter, which I prefer for baking and cooking.

Anonymous said...

Huh. I followed the recipe to a t, but my dough was totally not solid... more like a cross between brownie and cake batter. any clue what I did wrong?

Madame K said...

DJ, I made a mistake writing the recipe when I first posted it - there should be 1/2 cup cocoa powder in there. Did you make the updated one?
I'm so sorry! The batter should be thicker than brownie batter; thick enough to scoop. I hope you'll try it again.

Anne said...

Hi Karen! I made these today - I saw them on Slashfood and could NOT resist. They're absolutely wonderful - thank you so much for posting :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I used the updated one... I wonder what went wrong. I ended up just pouring it in cake pans and sprinkling sugar over the top- cooked for 18 minutes, it came out just as delicious. At least now if someone else messes up whatever way I did, they'll know the right cooking time. :)

Alanna Kellogg said...

OOO, how did I miss these?!

Tom said...

Ooooo, can't wait to try these out! Chai Malasa is my top tea, so I think these will be great.

Tom said...

Cookies...chocolate...and chai...are there any three greater things in the world? I don't think so. The cookies are great, though mine failed to flatten at all, so I had to mash mine flat before throwing them in the oven. Other than that these rock.

Madame K said...

Tom, I'm so glad you tried them!

I love chai, too. Now that's it's getting to be fall, I'll get back into my chai latte habit.

Anonymous said...

I have the Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles in the oven now and they smell wonderful. My all time favorite recipe from Dierbergs Everybody Cooks is in the September 1998 issue. It's Baked Chicken Salad Pie.

china clay teapot said...

n, especially thin foetus are recommended, crack easily surprised so many pot friends often used with the pot in the case of don't know is cracked, actually is caused by improper use
So, at ordinary times idle need not purple sand pot, do not need to put into the refrigerator fresh (more bacteria) more no need to put into the microwave oven high temperature antivirus, to avoidChina Purple Clay Teapot your love pot died
What is purple clay pot carving ?
Is the formation of violet sand earthenware engraved with the history of violet sand earthenware, generations of artists try to explore aYixing Purple Clay Teapot Setnd form, is the best expression way, Purple Clay Teapot With Infuserviolet sand earthenware moment is violet sand earthenware carved the embodiment of the aesthetic value and of course not rejeHandmade Ceramic Teapotct such as language lessons and fusion of stone carving wood carving, stone Cheap Ceramic Teapotsnecessary planning violet sand earthenware carved language pure degree, our advantage, and vitality, this is the avenue of violet sand earthenware carved countries
Purple sand pottery carvAuthentic Purple Clay Teapoting is not easy for ordi