6.30.2008

No-Cook Summer Recipe: Tabbouleh with Fresh Basil


What to make when it's too hot to cook


Do you ever feel like you're in a food rut?

I think we all get into a habit of cooking and eating certain things over and over again, either because your seven year old whines for it on a daily basis or simply because you can whip it up with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back.

Although my pantry shelves are sagging under the weight of a large array of boxes, bags and jars – all the interesting ingredients I can’t seem to stop myself from collecting for experimentation purposes, I’ve been watching myself reach for the same things to serve as the basis of a quick, one-dish meal when dinner time is nigh and I don’t have a plan; usually some kind of pasta or couscous.

Somewhere along the line I’ve strayed away from good old bulgur. Remember tabbouleh? All you need is hot water and it magically swells into a nourishing meal.

Way back before we made couscous the new "instant" side dish, there was tabbouleh to save the day. Many a college dorm room or apartment kitchen of mine was scented by that little spice packet that came in the tabbouleh box, with its telltale aroma of dried mint and slightly stale cumin.

I had a few friends over for a summer dinner party the other night, and wanted to have most everything made ahead. I had a Middle Eastern flavor theme going, so pulled out one of my favorite cookbooks, Spice by Ana Sortun, and there was a recipe for tabbouleh that jumped out at me.

It turned out to be the perfect thing to round out a summer meal – fast, fresh and I didn’t have to cook it! Well, not unless you count boiling water as cooking.

What I loved about this version was that it uses basil and walnuts, which was a nice twist on the usual parsley-mint-tomato combo.


Summer Tabbouleh with Fresh Basil
Adapted from Spice by Ana Sortun

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 small red onion or shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
1/2 cup fine or medium bulgur
1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
1 cup toasted walnuts or almonds
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice, onion, garlic and salt. Let sit about 5 minutes to soften the onion.

Stir in the bulgur along with 1/4 cup hot water. Cover and let stand about 15 minutes, or until the bulgur swells and is tender. Add a bit more water, if needed, if the bulgur is still chewy, and cover until absorbed.

Pulse the basil, parsley, nuts and oil in a food processor until a paste forms. Season with salt and pepper. Add the paste to the bulgur and stir to blend.

Serve topped with grated sharp cheese (such as feta) and toasted pita bread.



Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Subscribe to FamilyStyle Food


Copyright (c) 2008 FamilyStyle Food

13 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I absolutely love tabbouleh. This looks delicious.

Lisa said...

I love the idea of walnuts and basil in the Tabbouleh, just like my favorite Pesto. This sounds like the perfect take along dish for a summer picnic!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I love your recreation of tabbouleh! Basil is my favorite herb, I wonder how pine nuts would taste with it. Tabbouleh, Italian style!

Stella said...

Great combination of flavours! Like it loads!

Anonymous said...

the tabbouleh i make has diced cukes (no seeds) and tomatoes. yummy!! and K - i'll be going to Primo in Rockland in about 3-4 weeks. I'm in maine at the moment - can't wait to try it. will definately report back! thx stacy

Leah said...

I've never made tabbouleh before, but I have an herb garden full of basil so I'll have to try yours, it looks so fresh, and perfect for summer!

Madame K said...

Hi Beth - it's fun to rediscover favorite things to eat. I love tabbouleh again, too.

Lisa - yes, exactly!

Proud Italian Cook - you have the idea...now run with it!

Thanks Stella..glad you enjoyed it.

Maine626 - Stacy, yes please do report. I won't be making a trip to Maine this year and I need to live vicariously through you! Enjoy it...

Leah, I think you'll be hooked once you give it a try, and experiment with your herbs, too.

test it comm said...

That looks nice and fresh and good!

Emily said...

I've never tried tabbouleh! It's on my list to try. Now I really must try it, because you say so.

Anonymous said...

You've just been tagged! Instructions are posted on my blog. I hope you will play along. Love your site!

Anonymous said...

finally, i stumbled upon something that is really easy to prepare...

bdw, I am from Asia, and I am trying my best to learn cooking (decent meals :-)), thanks for sharing your yummy recipes... Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love simple summery recipes like these, it's a keeper :).

We'd like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest. All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :)! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested.

Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/08/29/september-kick-contest/

Thanks :),
Sophie
KI Chief Blogger

china clay teapot said...

d to put the teapot in the warehouse. The wrapping paper used was still the same. Newspapers such as "United Daily News" were wrapped in newspapers and stored in China Purple Clay TeapotYixing Purple Clay Teapot Setboxes for a long time. They did not see light and the air circulation was not good. The smell of newspaper ink wPurple Clay Teapot With Infuseras immersed in the pot for a long time.
If you encounter such aHandmade Ceramic Teapot pot, the treatment method is the same as the "sweet kettle" mentioned above. You can put it in a rice cooker without oil, cook it with a simmer, Cheap Ceramic Teapotsput a basin of clean cold water next to it, remove the pot from the boiling water, and then gently put it into the cold water, so repeated three or two times, its trace The ink smell is basically gone, the ink smell is serious, you can also brew two or three days of tea (teAuthentic Purple Clay Teapota does not drink water), most of the ink taste will gradually disappear.
Tea dirt is harmful to the body?
A layer of tea dirt grows on the inner wall of tea set, containing cadmium, lead, iron, arsenic, mercury and other metal substances, which are brought into th