6.02.2008

Edamame Dip with Asian Flavors



A simple spread

I have a tendency to wait until the last minute to get things done. I usually chalk it up to my spontaneous nature, but I know it's really a symptom of literally having too many things on my plate.

Last night we had some friends over for dinner, and as usual, I left the idea of an appetizer up in the air. Coming up with the perfect little nibble before the main meal is served can be tricky - you don't want to put out too much food since it's better to keep your guests a tiny bit hungry, but at the same time, there should be something available to help absorb the alcohol from the welcoming cocktail or first glass of wine. Plus there's always some other thing that needs to be done, like making salad dressing or setting the table.

I usually solve the problem by putting out little dishes of olives or roasted, spiced nuts. They're both satisfyingly salty, not too filling and will please the vegetarians and omnivores alike. But after going through my freezer yesterday and finding some half-full bags of peas and edamame, I thought I'd use them up to serve with crackers when our friends arrived.

This turned out to be a great idea - I created a quick, last minute homemade appetizer recipe instead of serving the usual tub of hummus dip, with most of the ingredients already on hand in the freezer and pantry. It could be that we were all hungry, but this disappeared in no time.

Edamame Spread with Asian Flavors

8 ounces frozen, shelled edamame
8 ounces frozen peas
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
1 crushed garlic clove
1 teaspoon wasabi powder dissolved in water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Fresh lemon juice, to taste
Fine sea salt, to taste

Drop the edamame and peas in a medium saucepan of generously salted boiling water.

Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the cooking water before draining.

Puree the edamame and peas together in a food processor along with the remaining ingredients, adding water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to make a smooth, creamy consistency.

Sprinkle a little more cayenne over the spread before serving with rice crackers or flatbread.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Subscribe to FamilyStyle Food


Copyright (c) 2008 FamilyStyle Food

14 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Karen,
This dip looks really delicious! Hope you and your family are having a nice summer!

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Karen,
Very nice idea! I have those half bags all over the freezer! This just may become a summer favorite!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Great idea, we all have those half bags in our freezers.It looks pretty too!!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! We have a half bags of those in the freezer. Going to try it out this weekend. On another note - your pancake recipe is now a weekend request. My kids ask for Fluffy pancakes. I usually make a double batch and freeze them, them come out great toasted in the toaster oven. When I run out and tell my kids I only have the boxed kind - they don't want them...my son always says - I'll wait Mom. Funny huh??

Patsyk said...

Looks fantastic! I love simple dips to put out when we have friends over. I'm marking this one so I'll have it next time I need inspiration!

brandin + kari said...

I am with you! I do the olives, or nuts, or bread with balsamic, but this looks fast and easy! I think I actually also have some half bags in my freezer. Hmmm...

Deborah said...

I make a edamame dip that I saw in Cooking Light that is kind of a twist on guacamole, but with edamame instead of avocados. This sounds like it would be equally delicious - I'm definitely saving this recipe!!

test it comm said...

This edamame dip sounds good!

Amy said...

This sounds delicious! I'll have to use my freezer finds for this soon :)

Veronica said...

Hi Karen!
That dip sounds delicious and easy Karen! I keep meaning to try edamame, I know it's good for you.

Stella said...

Wow! How cool this dip sounds Karen! I love edamame!

Anonymous said...

Not only does this dip sound good, it is amazing! I just made a double batch (on a hunch that we'd like it), and it's a hit. Our 10-yr-old at about a dozen baby carrots with the dip (unheard of) before he asked for a smoked gouda sandwich for supper. This is a real treat.

amycaseycooks said...

We love edamame at our house and I'm always looking for new ways to use them. Looks like a new dip for Happy Hour!!

Anonymous said...

great food recipes, there are also some food recipes for the family and kids specifically on http://hrbaby.com/