2.15.2008

Gingerbread Pancakes




Today A is feeling under the weather; I'm thinking it must be a touch of the flu; the same bug that has gone all around our school, neighborhood and back again.
So far, it hasn't had any affect on her appetite - so much for starving the flu.

Whatever her affliction, she's requiring classic comfort food; warm herbal tea sweetened with honey (my kids like Red Zinger), leftover rice, cinnamon toast and pancakes.

These gingerbread pancakes have become popular with my kids, and I guess that's no surprise. It must be that they are sweeter and spicier than my usual no-fail buttermilk pancake recipe.

I'm hoping that a promise of gingerbread-pancakes-in-bed will be just what the doctor ordered for a speedy recovery. And if I must reveal my alternate motive for serving a sick little girl breakfast in bed, it is this: I want her to stay in bed, tucked away in her room - keeping all her flu cooties with her! Here's to health...



Gingerbread Pancakes
Makes about 16 pancakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 eggs
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons molasses

In a large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cloves.

In a medium bowl, lightly beat together eggs, sugar, oil, milk and molasses; pour over the dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Spray a griddle with non-stick spray or grease with butter; place over medium heat until hot.

Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto griddle. Cook until small bubbles emerge and start to pop on the surface of the pancakes; turn with a spatula and cook until second side is lightly browned.

Serve hot.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Subscribe to FamilyStyle Food


Copyright (c) 2008 FamilyStyle Food

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, these sound great! I'm definitely going to try them soon.

Anonymous said...

Those would taste great any time!

Jenny said...

Yummy Karen,
These sound delicious! I'm definately going to try these. I love the look of the powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

Emily said...

Oooh, nice. These sound and look so good. And a bit of cocoa powder in the batter, too.
Hope A feels better soon. I know how she feels. I've been trying to stay in my room myself.

Anonymous said...

Those look wonderful. I never thought of gingerbread as a pancake flavor. They are on my list.

Madame K said...

Amy, I hope you like them and not just for breakfast.

Liza, and you should know!

Thanks, Jenny. My kids love the extra little sweetness any way they can get it.

Emiline, you must be in need of some comfort food yourself! Feel better soon...

Cathy, I think these would be a great late-night breakfast, if you know what I mean!

Annemarie said...

I clicked through from Blogher when I saw this - absolutely salivating over the prospect, only sad that the weekend is now done so I'll have to wait 6 more days to try it out. Great blog you have!

Deborah said...

These sound amazing - and like a perfect pick-me-up breakfast!

Half Baked said...

I adore gingerbread. I'll have to try these!

Deborah Dowd said...

Best wishes for a quick recovery (and isolation of germs)! These pancakes sound great. I love gingerbread but never thought of making it this way. I am thinking these would be great on a cool morning camping, or even with some whipped cram and sauteed apples as a dessert!

Helene said...

They sound so tempting! People forget that gingerread is not only for Christmas season!

jennyonthespot said...

Ooh, those look incredible! I lu-huv gingerbread-anything... well, maybe not gingerbread with pepperoni on it, but ya know :)

Stumbled here via Mammlogues... you have a lovely site... Your header is delightfully wonderful to look at. My eyes just want to rest there. I love green... your write about food - I love food!

Proud Italian Cook said...

What a nice Mom you are to make these delicious pancakes! I love gingerbread, I can just imagine the smell as these were cooking!

Lisa said...

Such a sweet way to contain flu cooties! :-)

I do love gingerbread and I love new ideas for pancakes. This recipe sounds like a winner!

Madame K said...

Thanks, Annemarie, I'm glad you stopped by. But I think pancakes can be had any day of the week!

Deborah, they can make you happy, for sure.

Half-Baked, I hope you like them.

Yes, Deborah, now I really want to go camping to try them out!

Tartelette, you are so right.

Jenny-on-the-spot, I'm glad you came by, and happy you love food too.

Proud Italian Cook, I do try. If you ask my kids on some days, they might not agree.

Thanks, Lisa.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I really like the sound of these pancakes. I'll have to make the, soon with all those homey flavours :D

~M said...

These look superb! I'm going to make them with coconut flour and other gluten-free flours!