2.25.2008

Chickpea and Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus


A delicious, high-protein snack


I've told you before about my absolute love for legumes, chickpeas in particular. Canned chickpeas are definitely at the top of my list of pantry staples, and maybe even a desert-island must for me too. Hmmm, maybe my desert island should be located someplace where chickpeas grow in happy profusion, for instance in the Aegean Sea. Do chickpeas flourish in the Aegean Sea? I've no idea, although it's kind of nice to imagine.

But I digress. I've made this Mark Bittman-inspired hummus recipe a few times since it appeared in the New York Times just a few weeks ago, and I love it. I take scoops of it with pieces of crisp flatbread when I start feeling hungry in between meals. Hummus is a great nutritious high-protein snack. It's not just for potluck, people!

This version turns out a lovely shade of ochre with the addition of sun-dried tomatoes and pimenton, which is smoked Spanish paprika (another must-have for the spice rack).

For some reason, Bittman goes to the trouble to cook his chickpeas first - while this does provide good, tasty liquid to moisten the spread, it's not what I call fast. I've found that cooking chickpeas can have iffy results. I try buying them at stores that seem to stock fresh dried beans, but I have no patience for them. Most of the bulk dried chickpeas I've taken home take way too long to cook. After a few hours of boiling what seems like a potful of pebbles that never seem to soften, I reach for a good old can. And for this recipe, which otherwise comes together in a snap, shaving a few hours off the prep time is a good thing.

I also go for the oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes here, rather than the dried ones he calls for. I think they add rich olive-oily moistness to the hummus.

This spread is simply fantastic as a dip, but I've also spread some on tortillas with a little goat cheese for killer quesadillas.

If you're a fan of chickpeas, you might also like these recipes:

Cashew Chicken with Roasted Spiced Chickpeas


Olive Oil-Poached Shrimp with Chickpeas and Feta




Chickpea and Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus
inspired by Mark Bittman

1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 small garlic cloves, coarsely chopped

Place all ingredients in the workbowl of a food processor. Pulse until you have a relatively smooth paste (I don't mind if it's a little chunky). Taste and season with more lemon juice and salt, if needed. Scrape down the sides of workbowl and pulse briefly to combine.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Subscribe to FamilyStyle Food


Copyright (c) 2008 FamilyStyle Food

26 comments:

Emily said...

I love hummus!
I've always used canned chickpeas. I've never tried the dried ones. Kind of glad, now.

grace said...

i love hummus. i am obsessed with sun-dried tomatoes. this is fantastic.

thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

that looks good! even to a person who is on the fence about legumes....

Anonymous said...

My daughter is the hummus maker in this home, I am going to pass this on to her as it looks really good! Homemade hummus is so worth the effort.
Thanks,
Kim

Madame K said...

Emiline, yes, definitely better to save your efforts for other beans.

A.grace - I've never understood why sun-dried tomatoes were declared "out" as an ingredient. I've always loved them.

Liza, I know people like you!

Thanks, Kim. Let me know if she likes it - and get her to save some for you!

Unknown said...

Ok, I'm making the cashew chicken with roasted spiced CPs this week - that sounds SOOOO good, and after a week fighting the flu, and eating nothing but matzoh ball soup and Zestas, I am SO enjoying cooking again!!!!

Deborah said...

I, too, have a supply of chickpeas in my pantry at all times. This sounds like a wonderful hummus!

Madeline said...

You know, I have had sundried tomatoes in my pantry waiting for the perfect recipe to use them in and this sounds like it. I don't love sundried tomatoes but I do love chickpeas and this recipe sounds like something I can really get into. The photos looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great combination. Can't wait to try it!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I'm a big fan of ceci's too. A couple of weeks ago I bought my first can of smoked paprika, and have been wanting to use it! Thanks Karen

Pixie said...

Karen, this hummus sounds fabulous! I have a bag of frozen chickpeas that I must get through and your hummus recipe is now top of my list.

skoraq cooks said...

I adore hummus but never tried anything but classy option. I will definitely try the one with sub-dried tomatos very soon.
BTW, somehow I never buy canned chickpeas. I always cook it on my own after soaking overnight of course. I cook it in pressure cooker so it's faster and then I freeze a few batches for later use :-)

Finla said...

I love hummus, but never tried them with sun dried tomato.
I hust wanted to dip a piece of bread and take a huge scoop

Madame K said...

Dee, I'm sorry to hear that you got the flu cooties! At least you got some matzoh ball soup - I haven't had that in a while. Get back in the kitchen, now.

Thanks, Deborah. It's a good one to add to your recipe box.

Madeline, this is the hummus for you. The tomatoes will add a nice color and you won't even know they're in there.

Enjoy,Beth!

Proud Italian Cook, I love that you label them "ceci" - that's what my mom called them.

Pixie, I'm curious about frozen chickpeas; we don't see them here in that form, at least not where I live. I would throw those in the frozen pantry, too!

Jo, the pressure cooker, eh? I will have to dust mine off and give it a try. Thanks!

Happy Cook, your method of scooping sounds perfect! Thanks for stopping by...

The Cheesemonger's Wife said...

Being from Lebanese descent I am a lover of hummus. I cannot remember ever not eating this food. I actually shuck my chickpeas..yep..my grandmother did it and so do I. It's time consuming but the end result is velvety smooth hummus. Some like it chunky...I like it smooth. This could turn into a debate?!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Karen, I love chickpeas too... Actually, I have just had falafels for lunch. :)

I make hummus quite often and will be trying this version of yours!

Anonymous said...

Count me in as a hummus lover. I've not made it with sun dried tomatoes but now I'm gonna. I really don't see why one would need to cook the chickpeas from scratch for a recipe like this. I feel like the only time cooking from dried makes a difference is when you want the keep the bean whole. But then to end up pureeing it makes little sense to me. In fact that is a great essay by a chef in New York defending her reliance on canned chickpeas.

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/a-rogue-chef-tells-all

I think you'll enjoy.

Madame K said...

Cheesemonger's Wife, I really have to get to know you better! I went through a Paula Wolfert phase when I peeled my chickpeas, but that was a long, long time ago! I think it would be fun to contrast and compare the peeled and unpeeled hummus sometime...

Patricia, falafel is fabulous! Yet another triumph of the chickpea.

Grant, thanks so much for the link.
I just read it, and loved it! Prune has been on my list of restaurants to visit, but I haven't been in NYC for almost a decade. So sad.

test it comm said...

Sun dried tomato hummus is one of my favorite ways of doing hummus.

Anonymous said...

you just reminded me of my roasted pepper and sun dried tomato hummus. i'll make sure to whip some up. your's looks really hearty!

priscilla joy said...

Hummus...yummy..bring on the pita bread,(actually out here it I can't get that so it would be bring on the tortillas):)

Katy said...

homemade hummus and carrot sticks is the best snack-y dinner ever. :-) yum!

Jenny said...

Sounds great Karen! Hummus is so good, this recipe sounds like a keeper!

Madame K said...

Kevin, I like sun-dried tomatoes in just about anything. They had that certain "something".

Flamboyant Eats, yours sounds great...I'd scoop up some in a heartbeat.

Priscilla, this hummus is great on tortillas!

Katy, that would be a great snack any old time, for sure.

Thanks, Jenny!

Pink of Perfection said...

mmm, i think my love of chickpeas runs as deep as yours. this sounds fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Being a great fan of legumes, I think you should try going for the real challenge of making REAL hummus in the traditional way. Check my blog for a recipe. Good luck.