11.15.2007

Roasted Pork, Tuscan Style


Stick your fork in a juicy slice


You know how people say we talk about the weather when we can't think of anything else to say? Well, today I want to talk about the weather because that's all I've been thinking about.

I took myself on a walk this morning after dropping the kids at school - it's such a glorious postcard-perfect day someone needs to take a picture of it (because, obviously, I didn't).

The sky is pristinely blue, a chilly breeze is blowing leaves around, and the trees are still holding on to their brilliant array of fall foliage. It sounds so sappy, but the sight of it really took my breath away.

And then, I started thinking about what I wanted to eat.

So much of what I find myself craving depends on the weather; like a cool cucumber and ripe tomato salad on a humid summer day or fresh green things in early spring.

Now that it's so close to Thanksgiving, I love grocery shopping more than ever. It really is the only time of year when I can walk into my favorite store and find an array of food I won't see again until next year, unless I place a special order for it. The meat department especially draws me in - I'm tempted by fresh duck, goose and quail and big, beautiful pork roasts.

A roasted rack of pork is one of my favorite things to cook and eat. I rub it with olive oil, honey and some of my Tuscan Spiced Salt, and slide it into a hot oven. It turns out so much better than a boneless pork loin ever could - because the rib bones are intact, the meat stays juicy. Plus, it just tastes good.

Roasted Rack of Pork, Tuscan Style
for 4 servings

1 2-pound pork rib roast, trimmed
Honey
Olive Oil
Tuscan Spiced Salt, about 2 tablespoons
*note: I noticed I had "3" tablespoons here - better to use about 1 tablespoon per pound*

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Rub the pork with a little honey and olive oil and the Tuscan salt.
Arrange in a shallow roasting pan and roast about 30 minutes, or until an instant thermometer reads 140 degrees. Remove from the oven and let stand 15 minutes before carving.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

8 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I just discovered your blog. I'm sure I will be reading it from the first post.

Anonymous said...

And the air is this gorgeous russet color - it's been this way for days now!

And I just tucked the spice mix into my 'food box' going north. This would be perfect for Sunday dinner!

Anonymous said...

Nice fork!

Browners said...

Awesome fork... and the pork doesn't look bad either!

Glenna said...

That looks so wonderful! We're thinking about doing roast this year since so many folks in my family don't like turkey. This seems like the perfect recipe. Thanks for including it.

Madame K said...

Helene, thanks so much for stopping by...I look forward to hearing from you again.

Alanna, it is absolutely gorgeous. Happy travels for turkey day! Say hello to St. Paul for me.

Liza and Browners, yes, good forks run in the family.

Glenna, I think that would be a great way to celebrate. I hope you like it...

Lisa said...

Heavenly! That is right up my alley, too. I must see if I can get a pork roast like that from my local meat guy.

Lisa said...

So excited! I'm getting a roast like this from a local farmer next week, so am going to try your recipe. The only thing I'm not sure I can get around here are the Tellicherry peppercorns. Must do some digging.