10.07.2007

Peanut Shrimp Salad - It's a Winner!

My peanut-crusted shrimp salad with basil-lime dressing (photo: MyRecipes.com)


Wow! I'm back after a great trip to Birmingham, where I was lucky to be chosen as a $10,000 category winner in the Southern Living Cook-Off.

All I can say is that the folks at Southern Progress, who also publish Cooking Light, Cottage Living, Sunset and numerous other lifestyle magazines, not only know how to throw a cook-off, but are an amazingly talented, passionate and hospitable group. You get the feeling that they love going to work every day.

I made some new friends, caught up with some old ones and even got that relaxing massage.

The grand prize winning recipe, Roasted Banana Ice Cream with Warm Peanut Butter Sauce, looks wonderfully decadent with lots of Southern style. My only problem with it is that I have an allergy to bananas and I won't be able to try it!

Peanut Crunch Shrimp Salad with Basil-Lime Dressing
Makes 4 servings

Basil-Lime Dressing:
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons Crisco Pure Peanut Oil
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon Domino Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon Asian chili garlic sauce
1 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced

Shrimp Salad:
1 cup panko crumbs
1/2 cup USA-Grown Dry Roasted Salted Peanuts
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Red Curry Powder
20 jumbo Certified Wild American Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons Crisco Pure Peanut Oil
3 cups mixed baby salad greens
1 cup diced English cucumber
1 cup peeled diced mango
1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
3 green onions, trimmed; white and light green parts sliced into matchsticks
1/4 cup USA-Grown Dry Roasted Salted Peanuts, chopped


1. To prepare Basil-Lime Dressing, puree all ingredients in a food processor. Set aside.

2. Pulse panko, peanuts, cornstarch and curry powder in food processor until fine crumbs form; transfer to a pie plate.

3. Toss shrimp with the egg in a large bowl. Dredge shrimp in peanut mixture to coat.

4. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place shrimp in skillet; cook shrimp 3 minutes per side, or until golden.

5. Gently toss greens, cucumber, mango, bean sprouts, mint and onions in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons Basil-Lime Dressing. Arrange salad on individual serving plates; top each with 5 shrimp; sprinkle with peanuts and drizzle with remaining dressing.



Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

20 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

Congratulations! This looks gorgeous - and 'perfectly Karen' as well. And the banana would be a fitting ending ...

Funny that (at least) two Midwesteners are in the Southern Living winners round-up!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this one! I hope you are still basking in the glory and drinking plenty of champagne.

Madame K said...

Thanks Alanna.

Actually, three of us - the GP winner is from Kansas City!

Liza, we need to run out for more bubbly. Be right back...

Nupur said...

Congratulations, Karen! This is wonderful :) That dish has so much style, as Alanna said, it is very "you".
Loved your article in Sauce as well :)

Anh said...

Congratulation!

And the recipe is a winner! I love the combo here.

Kalyn Denny said...

Wow, congratulations! Very exciting news and your recipe looks fantastic.

Madame K said...

Nupur, thank you! I'd still like to walk with you. I haven't seen you in a while...

Anh, thanks. This flavors here are real favorites of mine, too.

Kalyn, thanks. I had such fun!

Manggy said...

It sure looks and sounds like a winner! Congratulations!

janelle said...

Congrats! I feel like I am rubbing shoulders---or blogs---with a celebrity!

SO COOL!

I am so trying this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. Many congrats! You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Karen--congratulations! That's really awesome. I'm looking forward to trying your shrimp salad, which looks delish . . .

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations Karen! And that is a fabulous recipe, no wonder you won. I would love to make that sometime--it's just the kind of thing I love to eat.

Jenny said...

Hi Karen! Your blog is beautiful, I love your pictures! You and many other food bloggers inspired me to get started on one. Check mine out if you'd like, I've got a ways to go!

www.pickypalate.blogspot.com

Talk to you soon!

Jenny F

Madame K said...

Thanks for all the congrats, guys.
I appreciate it.

Jenny, How cool! I'm going to visit right now...

Deborah Dowd said...

Congratulations! I am so jealous! I submitted a recipe but it didn't make it:( Your recipe looks wonderful, a really unique twist, and you must be so excited!!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

That is fabulous, Karen! Oh, I'm so happy for you! Your family must be thrilled. Wishing you many more wins,
Susan.

Madame K said...

Deborah, keep trying! Really focus on Southern-style, with a twist. You'd have a great time.

Thanks so much Susan!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Karen! This looks fantastic. I love all the flavors in here.

Glad you had a good time in B'ham too. I was a judge at last year's Cooking Light Reader Recipe contest and had a ball. I had to pass this year, because I was on maternity leave. Maybe I'll see you THERE next year!

SteamyKitchen said...

a very late congrats!!

i'll be trying your recipe soon.

xo, jaden

Madame K said...

Swirling Notions, that would be great! I don't know if I'll be able to enter - I actually went to that contest year before last and won the grand prize!
My recipe was Crunchy Shrimp with Ginger Orange Sauce.

Maybe I'll have to make a trip to wine country instead.

Jaden, thanks. Let me know how it works for you! I think you'll like it.