9.28.2007

Deliciously Vegetarian: Black-Eyed Pea and Soybean Salad with Lime and Avocado



It's hard to stop eating this simple salad

I saw a recipe recently - the first-place winner in the Vegetarian Times Reader Recipe contest - that inspired me to make this salad for lunch yesterday. It was delicious! This is a recipe to satisfy any number of your vegan, high-fiber, low-carb, low-fat desires. My only problem is that I wanted to eat the whole bowl myself.


Black-Eyed Pea and Soybean Salad with Lime and Avocado
adapted from Greens (aka Vegetarian Times) magazine October 2007

makes 6 servings
1 (14-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 (14-ounce) can soybeans, rinsed and drained
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 avocado, diced
1 small tomato, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup finely chopped shallot or red onion
1 serrano chile pepper, finely chopped (You could use a jalapeno, but I love serranos because they have a dependable heat level, unlike jalapenos which are sometimes very bland)
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium teriyaki sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. In a large bowl, layer the peas, beans, bell pepper, avocado, tomato, cilantro, shallot, chile pepper and garlic.

2. Whisk together the lime juice, oil, vinegar, teriyaki, sugar, salt and cayenne in a small bowl.
Pour dressing over the bean mixture and toss gently to avoid smashing the avocado.



Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

7 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds great. I'm not sure why, but lately I'm having a very hard time finding canned black-eyed peas where I shop. I think I'll have to go to Wild Oats and stock up on them.

Madame K said...

Kalyn, that's where I picked up mine.
Sadly, our WO is closing soon because of the Whole Foods buyout.

Lisa said...

Oh, yum. I'm a big fan of blackeyed peas, and combining them with avocado and lime, wowie. I can see why a person would want to eat the whole bowl.

Stella said...

I agree that it may be very hard to stop eating this salad, especially with such ingredients as such!

Anonymous said...

A uniquely delicious salad. I think we will be making this one again and again.Thank you for this wonderful recipe.

Madame K said...

W, thanks. I'm pleased to know you tried it - and liked it!

I've made this dressing for other salads too - it's pretty versatile.

Andrea said...

This was truly outstanding! I LOVED the dressing and loved all of the vegetables. I used edamame and absolutely loved it. Thanks for the recipe!!