8.01.2007

When Daddy Cooks: Chicken with Broccoli

Stir-Fried Chicken with Broccoli - and I didn't help



Last night just before dinner time, I found myself starring in my own version of This Old F@#$%ing House, scraping layers of paint off my basement banister in the interest of my After Flood Redo; covered in dust and minuscule pieces of paint. I'm hoping it isn't the lead kind.

That's why it felt so fantastic to delegate cooking to my capable husband, who has a deft hand with a knife and a frying pan, but hardly ever gets enough practice.

Freshly showered and wine glass in hand, I had the pleasure of watching someone else do the cooking. It was nice. I could get used to it.

He chops, he stirs, he cooks!

Chicken with Broccoli, Daddy-style


2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound boneless skinless chicken (husband likes thighs)
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sake, dry sherry or white wine
1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
1 head broccoli, trimmed and sliced into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 hot chili pepper (optional)

Whisk the egg whites, 1 teaspoon cornstarch and salt in a a medium bowl.
Slice the chicken very thinly crosswise and add to the bowl, tossing to coat. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix chicken broth, soy sauce, sake, honey and remaining cornstarch; set aside.

Blanch broccoli in a pot of boiling water 2 minutes, drain.

Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Toss in the onion, garlic and chili; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken and stir until no longer pink, 3 minutes more.

Make a well in the center of chicken mixture; pour in soy mixture and bring to boil. Add the broccoli and stir everything together until evenly coated and thickened.

Serve with steamed rice.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure looks good! And what a cute chef.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Karen, what a delicious dish! Congrats to the husband!

Pilar - Lechuza said...

Hi ! It's my first time visiting your blog and I have to congratulate you for such a good chef !!

By the way, does he help clean the mess afterwards ?

Best wishes from Spain

Anonymous said...

Very talented, indeed. You have a keeper :)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Oh my gosh~ that sounds to good to be true!
Looks good too =D

The chicken silly... LOL

Madame K said...

Liza, yes he is, yes?

Patricia, thanks...I like to keep him around.

Pilar, welcome!
In our house, if you cook, then the other person cleans up. It's a good system!

Kristen, yes, I agree.

Sandi, it felt that way at the time.
Every once in a while that's a gift for me.

Deborah Dowd said...

I can totally empathize with your this old f*5!ing house since we have been living it the last two months! What a great treat that your husband stepped up to save you from take out!