6.12.2007

Burger Bash: Moroccan Burgers with Harissa Mayo and Fennel Slaw


Now that's a spicy meatball...


I'm off to Portland, Oregon for a few days of food, wine and yoga. Excuse me for a second.

WOOHOO! YIPPEE! YAY!

Whew. Sorry about that. I got a little excited. I've never been to Portland, but I just have this idea that I would be happy to live there. Oh, and did I mention that the kids will be at home enjoying some extra special time with a very special aunt? It's all good.

I might even try to post from there, if I can remember to bring along all the right cords and cameras.

In the meantime, here's another burger from my grill. I just loved these - the harissa mayo is a gorgeous deep, dark saffron color and just spicy enough.


Moroccan Burgers with Spiced Carrot Fennel Slaw and Harissa Mayonnaise

makes 6 burgers
Slaw:
2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 fennel bulb, stems trimmed, cut into matchsticks
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salt, to taste
Harissa Mayonnaise:
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons harissa paste
1 teaspoon ground paprika
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 egg yolk
1 – 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste
Patties:
2 pounds ground lamb or pork
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup mixed baby spinach or salad greens
6 hamburger buns, split and toasted


Prepare carrot relish: Toss carrot, fennel and mint in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients; pour over carrot mixture and toss to coat.

Prepare the mayonnaise: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in the harissa, paprika and garlic. Cook, stirring, until garlic becomes fragrant, about 1 minute. Set aside to cool slightly. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg while slowly dribbling in the remaining olive oil, until thickened. If mixture becomes too thick, add some lemon juice to thin it out.
Whisk in the harissa mixture until smooth; season with salt. (Harissa mayonnaise will keep 3 days, covered and refrigerated)

Prepare the patties: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Divide mixture into 6 portions; shape each portions into patties sized to fit the buns.

Prepare a medium-hot fire and oil grill rack. Cook patties 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
To serve, arrange lettuce leaves on bottom buns, followed by patty, mayonnaise and slaw.


Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

8 comments:

bb said...

hey Karen...have a great time here in Portland. You'll love it here, especially if you're hungry! May I highly recommend Castagna Café and Three Doors Down as two places you really should get to if you have time? I think you'd love both of them.

Madame K said...

Thanks, BB! I will check out both of those places for sure. I'll get back to ya...

Anonymous said...

Hi,

very excellent Burger bash....nice to have the blog which is very exciting...

cheers
suma valluru
----------------------
http://www.food-giftbasket.org

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Hope you have a great time.

I made a jar of harissa recently and so far I have only stirred some in with baby new potatoes, so I was glad to see your recipe for harissa mayonnaise.

Thanks

Deborah Dowd said...

Now that sounds like a very interesting burger! I think I will make a mini version to serve on tapas night!

Anonymous said...

Have a fabulous time! Isn't it funny...I have places in my mind that I just know I would love to live at. Kansas isn't it. No...Kansas isn't that bad, it just isn't where I dream about living.
Anyway...great looking burger! Looks fantastic!

Madame K said...

suma, thank you for visiting!

Holler, it's good to be back, but I'm already planning my return...
I would like to try to make homemade harissa.

Deborah, have a festive time. Tapas burgers are fantastic.

Kristen, thanks. Yes, it is funny how we have kindred places, isn't it?

SteamyKitchen said...

Wow, this sounds so good. I love the idea of Moroccan spiced burgers.