4.25.2007

Quick and Rustic Pappardelle


Whole Wheat Pappardelle with Creamy Sundried Tomato Sauce and Toasted Walnuts


I had a rare afternoon off the other day - lunch with a friend and then a quick pit stop at Soulard Market - the oldest farmer's market in the country west of the Mississippi.

I went in search of fresh farm-raised rabbit, which I'll be cooking up tonight. (I know, what is it with me and little farm animals?)

While strolling the aisles, I found the stand of Pappardelle's Pasta, an artisanal pasta company from Denver. They had an eye-catching display of dried pasta shapes in all colors and sizes, but I restrained myself to trying just one flavor, toasted-onion whole wheat pappardelle. The noodles cooked up beautifully - not too mushy or starchy. I'm already planning another trip to try some other flavors.

Pappardelle with Creamy Sundried Tomato Sauce and Toasted Walnuts
makes 2 entrees or 4 side dishes

1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped (I use my mini food processor for this), or prepared sundried tomato pesto
4 ounces soft goat cheese
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
8 ounces dried pappardelle
Italian parsley leaves
1/4 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped

In a large deep pan over medium heat, saute the onion in the oil with a pinch of salt until softened. Add the tomatoes and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the goat cheese and broth and simmer until cheese is melted into the sauce. Keep warm.

Cook the pappardelle in a large pot of boiling, salted water until al dente, about 6 minutes depending on the brand. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water before draining.

Combine the pasta and parsley with the sauce, tossing gently. Add pasta water as needed to thin as desired. Serve sprinkled with walnuts.


Save This Page

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now this I will make. It looks great!

--Liza

Anonymous said...

Oh yay...I just looked and they are at one of the markets near me. Can't wait to check them out!

Madame K said...

Liza, what, no lamb for you??
I knew you'd like this.

Kristen - Yay! I'm glad you can find this pasta - I noticed they are at a few farmer's markets in Kansas City. Which one do you shop at more? I need to make a trip to KC one of these days...

Anonymous said...

I might eat lamb, but those were some graphic pics. You know me, flexatarian to the end.

--Liza

Nupur said...

This looks sooo good, Karen. I was at Soulard this weekend, and bought their "spicy thai" pasta...it was amazing to say the least. Will post it later this week.

Muskat said...

I don't know if I get Pappardelle here in Germany, but the sauce itself sounds delicious. I'll have to try it!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Finally made it and it's excellent. Will be a repeater in our house.

Madame K said...

Helene, I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it.

We love our pasta around here!