2.05.2007

Show Me the Muffins



Italian Orange-Almond Crunch Oat Muffins


I’m starting off the week with some shameless self-promotion. Check out Quaker Oats and my muffin recipe, which recently netted me 2K! I made them today and added an embellishment of orange marmalade glaze.
These are very popular with my kids, too.

Italian Orange-Almond Crunch Oat Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

1 cup oats, quick or old-fashioned
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons grated fresh orange zest
1 1/2 cups packaged baking mix (I use Bisquick “Heart Smart”)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup crushed amaretti cookies (about 6 small cookies)
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup orange marmalade
1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur

Heat your oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or spray the pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir together the oats, buttermilk, orange juice and zest. Let stand 10 minutes.
Combine the baking mix, sugar and cookies in a medium bowl.
Add butter, egg and extract to oats and mix well. Add the dry ingredients, mix just until moistened.

Fill the muffins cups about 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes, or until tops are light golden brown. Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place muffins on the rack over a sheet of wax paper.

Melt the marmalade and liqueur in a small saucepan. Drizzle over the muffins. Serve warm.

Passing the Meme



Lydia of The Perfect Pantry tagged me for this meme: Five Things Most People Don’t Know About Me, so here goes:

1. I’m devoted to entering cooking contests. It started out as an innocent way to indulge my creative side in the kitchen, and became kind of addicting.

2. I can put my leg behind my head in this bizarre-looking yoga posture.

3. Lilacs are my favorite flowers.

4. I always arrive five minutes late for everything.

5. I cannot tolerate cooked green bell peppers. Blech!

And now I’m passing this along to:
Anna of Cookie Madness
Nupur of One Hot Stove
Kristen of Dine and Dish
Bruno of Zinfully Delicious
Janelle of Talk of Tomat
oes



Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

7 comments:

janelle said...

Amaretto? Marmalade?

SIGN ME UP!

janelle said...

Very fun: I will meme back.

For the record, and in response to your five:

1. You have my attention! I have never tried a contest but am fascinated!

2. I can stretch and bend but am embarrassed to say not yet have I tried Yoga. It is on my 2007 new year resolution list!

3. At least in my top three: I love lilacs!

4. guilty as charged. I am convinced it has to do with my allergy to lag time.

5. Me neither! Always red, never green: ew!

Nupur said...

Love the look of those muffins...I love citrus in baked goods. Congratulations on winning!
I'd love to do the meme. Good thing you won't have to eat green peppers tonight :) But honestly, Karen, green peppers are so delicious cooked Indian-style...won't you give them one more chance?

Alanna Kellogg said...

Fun list! All except #4 were new to me! ;-) PS To everyone interested in the muffin recipe, they're great!

Tony said...

In a perfect world, I would eat muffins every day.

I would not, however, come within 60 feet 6 inches of a "meme".

(True, there is no "I" in meme. But what there is, is worse.)

TLR

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you!! What a great accomplishment, and to win 2k too...awesome!

I did this meme a couple of weeks ago. I had a hard time coming up with 5 things, but you can find them here:

http://dineanddish.squarespace.com/dine-and-dish-blog/2007/1/18/pizza-crust-request-and-a-meme.html

Anonymous said...

Oh, those are genius! You are so clever!