12.03.2006

Bring on December


Palate Pleaser


My kids love to play the favorites game: What's your favorite color? Flower? Cookie? I usually wiggle out of this kind of cross-examination by stating in a vaguely diplomatic tone, "I like all colors/flowers/cookies, because each is the best in its own special way". Needless to say that answer just doesn't inspire them. Kids crave definitive answers, not blurry, meaningless statements that could have been scripted by a government speechwriter.

But, as far as months go, I'm unequivocal - December is my very favorite month of the year. Yes, and the fact that my birthday arrives right at the beginning only helps to kick-start the upcoming weeks of celebrating. What can I say? I'm a party girl at heart, plus it's a great excuse to stock up the wine cooler with all things sparkly.

I was seduced by the photo of this drink in Mario Batali's Holiday Food cookbook, and it is now my official "house" drink. Not sparkling wine, but a colorful (read: festive) kind of liquid appetizer that precedes a glass of champagne, the sort of concoction that's perfect for say, about five o'clock in the afternoon, when it's just about dark, the neighbor's Christmas lights ignite, and a fire is crackling away in the living room. Happy December!

Italian Tangerine Sparkler

For one drink

Slice a thin wheel from one plump tangerine, and set it aside. Squeeze the juice from the tangerine into a tall ice-filled glass. Pour in some sparkling water, or better yet, Blood Orange Italian Soda (my favorite is made by Archer Farms at Target) then top with a big slash of Campari. If you intend to enjoy a more debauched evening, then add a splash of citrus-flavored vodka as well. Float the tangerine slice on top and drink.



Copyright (c) 2006 FamilyStyle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you...November is history. I am ready for December. Frothy-Fun-Festive-Fudgey December!

Alanna Kellogg said...

When do we celebrate?

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I love Campari.